Just starting out! Jumping in with both feet...in over my head? Don't want to end up underwater...

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dad jokes aside...

I grew up snorkeling in hawaii and spending a lot of time around the ocean, my dad kept a large freshwater tank growing up, and I've always loved nature and caring for it - back in college my degree was in Environmental Sciences. I saw a large reef tank at a restaurant a while ago, and realized I HAD to have that.

I decided to do this with a few goals in mind:
- Minimal maintenance (== maximum success)
- Long-term success (redundancy, back-ups, plans for failure, leak sensors everywhere)
- Minimizing long-term cost (with up-front investment, avoiding the upgrade trap)

Gear:
- 4x2x2 CustomAquariums glass tank with stand (~120g)
- Trigger Systems Triton 44v2 sump
- 2x Vortech mp40 (flow)
- 2x ReefOctopus Varios-2 (return)
- ReefOctopus Regal 200int skimmer
- 3x Kessil A360x lights
- Kessil H80 fuge light
- 2x Eheim 300w heaters
- 120lbs BRS reefsaver dry rock
- Pink aragonite sand (should I go thin? deep? in between?)

Control
- Apex (with 2x EB832)
- DoS pump
- Triton tester
- Tunze Osmolator ATO
- Apex leak detector kit
- Apex wifi module (to control mp40's, maybe the kessil's?)

Support
- Mop sink
- 5stage RoDi
- 75g salt tank (with circulation pump, hose hookup to fill the tank)
- 25g fresh tank

Quarantine
- 20g long tank with a baffle for 2x 10g tanks
- Bubble filters
- 50w heaters
- PVC pieces to hide in

I'll probably want more flow, and better heaters...probably a Gyre pump (or 2?) for varied flow...?

An electrician installed 2 new circuits wired to 2 new outlets next to the sump - one heater and one return will be on each circuit...well, the apex will have two power strips, each on their own circuit.

The sump will be plumbed with a 3 port manifold, for future stuff like carbon, uv, whatever.

I was originally planning to use the BRS 2-part for my calc/alk/mag, but as I've been doing more research on the Triton method I'm thinking I might start the tank out using that. I'd need a second DoS pump for the additives, but I already have the sump for it (18g fuge section)...maybe a larger return pump? But that's probably it.

I started cycling 120lbs of BRS reefsaver rock in a Brute can on 11/22 - 85f, 1.015 salinity. Used Dr. Tim's and ammonium chloride solution.

I'm now at the point where I can dose up to 2ppm ammonia, and it's gone in 24hrs. I attached a small fuge to the brute can and attached the kessil light, threw in a ball of chaeto and nitrates are <20ppm (API test kit), Nitrite 0.

I've still got a few weeks to wait until my tank gets delivered, so I was going to throw a pair of clowns into the quarantine system in about a week or so, so they're ready to introduce once the tank is set up. I think it will be okay to introduce fish shortly after setup due to the thorough cycling.

I will run and stock the tank slowly for a few months, until alk/calc/mag consumption increases....and then probably just start with the Triton Core7 program? And ICP testing of course...is this a bad idea? Seems almost too good to be true, minimal water changes etc... I really like the science based approach.

Reality check me please! Does this all sound sane?

I still don't have a stocking plan, and would appreciate advice

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well WELCOME TO THE R2R family!!! cant wait to see this build! Also with any new fish you plan to add you "should" TTM them then add another 14-20 days for observation. other than that everything else looks great! As far as stocking, you have a lot of options haha!

JPK_Esquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this. My build is pretty similar just slightly larger (180g), but it looks like we’ve landed on most of the same equipment.

With regard to sand, I’m having the same question, and actually whether to do any sand at all. Have you considered what type of corals (if any) you may want (SPS dominant or mixed)? That I think drives a lot of the substrate question (I.e., do you need higher flow). If you want higher flow, I’ve read the Figi pink get blown around.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You’re doing great so far. Only recommendation is a longer QT. I lost my tank to disease and had to do a complete rebuild, doing that will break you down and exhaust you, so avoid if possible

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the welcomes and affirmation, relieving to hear I'm on the right track!

I was planning to do a 4wk quarantine for everything, including inverts.

Thanks for the TTM reminder, I will plan to do that with the first clown pair.

With regard to sand, I’m having the same question, and actually whether to do any sand at all. Have you considered what type of corals (if any) you may want (SPS dominant or mixed)? That I think drives a lot of the substrate question (I.e., do you need higher flow). If you want higher flow, I’ve read the Figi pink get blown around.
I don't want to go bare bottom because it looks too unnatural to me, and the aesthetic is important. I also want to keep a diverse ecosystem with critters that need a sand bed.

My plan for corals is to start easy and grow as I gain experience. I plan to stock slowly, start with softies, and keep room on the rockwork to add new stuff. Keeping sps would be wonderful down the road, and if I have to replace parts of the rockwork to make room for them that's probably fine. If I had to choose between sand or a specific Coral, I'd keep the sand.

I'm hoping to find the perfect flow to keep detritus suspended and the sand from being blown around, might be a constant battle...

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some in-progress shots! The tank will be on the opposite side of the wall from that sump.

MVIMG_20191228_102735.jpg MVIMG_20191228_102828.jpg MVIMG_20191228_102722.jpg MVIMG_20191222_101234.jpg

ORReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the perfect answer to your sand question is but I can tell you what I think you should avoid. Don't go with really large or really small sand particle size.

On the big side, and back in the day, we used crushed Coral rubble and that stuff collected detritus like crazy and needed to be vacuumed often.

On the small side we got sugar sand. Looks really cool until it starts getting dirty. I have a diamond goby, cerith snails and a sand sifting star going through it but it still compacts and builds up nastyness.
I'm slowly transitioning to a 2mm (average) aragonite sand and I'm liking that better.

For depth most people seem to try to keep it 2 inches or less unless they want to try deep sand bed. However, if you do your research deep sand bed is pretty controversial. Some swear by it some say avoid like the plague.

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Few months update!!

Upgraded the Fish QT to a 55gal, and the coral QT to 20gal. Plenty of livestock additions! Getting a hippo tang through quarantine now, maybe a pair of tangs after this...

Just got my hands on a PAR meter so I can decide where to place some of these corals.

IMG_20200623_111507.jpg IMG_20200623_111455.jpg IMG_20200623_111445.jpg IMG_20200623_111429.jpg MVIMG_20200623_111420.jpg MVIMG_20200623_111410.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back