Just to Introduce myself

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Joined last night at the meeting, and wanted to say hello! Im Derek, and im owned by a 90 gallon reef, as well as 3 fresh water systems, and 2 upcoming saltwater systems. Sure it sounds like a lot, but aquatics is my passion, my release and my sanity.

Heres some photos from the last couple weeks of my budding reef. I need more coral, but ill get there soon.

A bit about the system. its a 90 gallon tank. I used Billy Hays Dry rock for most of it, along with some live from an old 30 gallon fowlr tank we had. I run SB Reef Lights for lighting. 2 16 basics keep my coral happy. For skimming i trust in my Reef Octopus 150. Its been a family affair with this tank, and this far has been a total blast! Cant wait to meet you guys more at upcoming meetings!
welcome 6.jpg
welcome1.jpg
welcome2.jpg
welcome3.jpg
welcome4.jpg
welcome5.jpg
welcome7.jpg

ConnieHanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Joined last night at the meeting, and wanted to say hello! Im Derek, and im owned by a 90 gallon reef, as well as 3 fresh water systems, and 2 upcoming saltwater systems. Sure it sounds like a lot, but aquatics is my passion, my release and my sanity.

Heres some photos from the last couple weeks of my budding reef. I need more coral, but ill get there soon.

A bit about the system. its a 90 gallon tank. I used Billy Hays Dry rock for most of it, along with some live from an old 30 gallon fowlr tank we had. I run SB Reef Lights for lighting. 2 16 basics keep my coral happy. For skimming i trust in my Reef Octopus 150. Its been a family affair with this tank, and this far has been a total blast! Cant wait to meet you guys more at upcoming meetings!
welcome 6.jpg
welcome1.jpg
welcome2.jpg
welcome3.jpg
welcome4.jpg
welcome5.jpg
welcome7.jpg

Nice tank looks awesome it was nice to meet you last night and look forward to doing a lot this year with the club members. We will have one meeting where we make our own fish food we did it last year and everyone had a blast. Best advice I can give from experience is don’t rush anything take your time and do it right it will save you thousands of dollars in the long run.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank looks awesome it was nice to meet you last night and look forward to doing a lot this year with the club members. We will have one meeting where we make our own fish food we did it last year and everyone had a blast. Best advice I can give from experience is don’t rush anything take your time and do it right it will save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
Thank you! This one is surely a marathon. Slowly but surely! i try not to make many changes to it too often. Cant wait for the next one!

sandalscout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I miss having a very large tank, but I can't reach over into them anymore...... I've got the itch for something like a 72" x 24" x 16" tank now.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180217_162557.jpg
IMG_20180217_162536.jpg
Very nice! I miss having a very large tank, but I can't reach over into them anymore...... I've got the itch for something like a 72" x 24" x 16" tank now.
I love this footprint for sure! Ive got a 125 in the basement that i just built a new stand for, that will be an aggressive fowlr thats going to be my first 6 foot.

Last edited:

ConnieHanson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glass cages will be at the May 12 Expo be sure to stop by and talk to them they custom make and can do just about any foot print

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derek welcome to R2R

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking good! No big saltwater tanks for me....trying to keep it at minimal unlike before....I have two fresh one is 150g and the other is a 75g.
We went with the 90 for a good size for the area it was going in. We also have a 75 and 65 south American systems for fresh. I've got a 32 bio cube to setup for my wife after vacation. I'm going to start breeding pods soon to help prepare for mandarins. Then the 125 for agressive. That should keep me busy ha!

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We went with the 90 for a good size for the area it was going in. We also have a 75 and 65 south American systems for fresh. I've got a 32 bio cube to setup for my wife after vacation. I'm going to start breeding pods soon to help prepare for mandarins. Then the 125 for agressive. That should keep me busy ha!
That will definitely keep you super busy!!! I got rid of a fresh water to just to get my reefer 250 so I wouldn't have more tanks to deal with. :D

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're self sufficient sure but still have to siphon gravel, clean the glass and lids, clean out filters, and bleach decorations. The only reason why we have a 150 was because of the parrot fishes that we had for over 17 or 18 years. Unfortunately lost one awhile back but there's still two more left then we bought baby ones to go with them now.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're self sufficient sure but still have to siphon gravel, clean the glass and lids, clean out filters, and bleach decorations. The only reason why we have a 150 was because of the parrot fishes that we had for over 17 or 18 years. Unfortunately lost one awhile back but there's still two more left then we bought baby ones to go with them now.
We run sand and oddly enough have 2 sets of blood parrots haha!

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love the blood parrots!!!! They're nosey fish though....can't take pictures of other fish without them getting in the way... camera hogs...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back