Maderian

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put a manderin goby In my 90 gallon reef tank,and doing research it reads about a refugium. Do I really need it,and can I just put copepods straight into my aquarium?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing you can do for the mandarin, add food for the pods(live phytoplankton) so they multiply naturally, and will keep the mandarin fed. Many reputable places to buy phyto from.

As suggested above, a captive bred one will also increase your success.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90 is a good size. You can add pods directly, I’d do it later when the lights are either low or off. Turn off flow for at least 20 minutes so they can make it to the rocks. My next mandarin will probably be a biota one. More expensive but better chance for success most likely

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's fine. I'd get a captive bred one like those from biota as they can eat pellets too and don't have the risk of cyanide issues that arise with wild caught ones.
Thank you for the shout out, captive-bred mandarins are usually fine in an aquarium that size and end up eating scraps that some of the messier fish miss or pellets that get down to the substrate for them.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the shout out, captive-bred mandarins are usually fine in an aquarium that size and end up eating scraps that some of the messier fish miss or pellets that get down to the substrate for them.
So don't get cooepids?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put a manderin goby In my 90 gallon reef tank,and doing research it reads about a refugium. Do I really need it,and can I just put copepods straight into my aquarium?
I also have a 90 and plan to get a mandarin. I do not have a fuge, but I do add pods monthly. Best way is after lights are out for the night, use a piece of PVC so you can direct them to the bottom, in the rocks and sand. Then just feed phytoplankton weekly. You will be fine.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So don't get cooepids?
No, still do.

They are just saying how captive-bred Mandarin gobys are better, because they are able to eat other foods, that you will typically feed your tank with.

Even if the mandarin goby doesn't eat the copepods, (which they will), they are still a great part of your CUC.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back