Just Urchin around

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's now too big for his old under rock home.

20220119_065317.jpg 20220119_065144.jpg

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful urchin. They are one of the oddest creatures on the planet. It's like someone tossed a bunch of random DNA into a test tube, shook it up, germinated it and out popped these. :)
He's great. Has survived the tank since the day I got my live rock. Maybe a week after I started the build

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a dwarf urchin species?
Can we still say dwarf?
I think we're OK until they rename every fish/invert, etc with that in their name. I wish there were teeny tinies available. I keep seeing babies in my lfs that are the size of a quarter and my first thought is... "why can't you stay that small?". LOL

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we're OK until they rename every fish/invert, etc with that in their name. I wish there were teeny tinies available. I keep seeing babies in my lfs that are the size of a quarter and my first thought is... "why can't you stay that small?". LOL
Mine when I first found was only 5mm dia. He's now the size of a gold ball tip to tip

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some need to stay 5mm for my tank. Haha.
Smallest urchin in the world is Echinocyamus scaber and it's 5.5mm (.22 inch) but its white and lives in the sand it would probably be near impossible to spot. It would be amazing for cleaning the sandbed on a pico/ nano but I'd bet it'll never make into the hobby.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smallest urchin in the world is Echinocyamus scaber and it's 5.5mm (.22 inch) but its white and lives in the sand it would probably be near impossible to spot. It would be amazing for cleaning the sandbed on a pico/ nano but I'd bet it'll never make into the hobby.
I knew there would be a "gotcha". LOL. I would love to have one of these even if I didn't see it all that often. Just knowing I have an urchin in my tank is good enough for me. Maybe if I stuck a tiny tall hat on him I would at least know where he is. :)

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew there would be a "gotcha". LOL. I would love to have one of these even if I didn't see it all that often. Just knowing I have an urchin in my tank is good enough for me. Maybe if I stuck a tiny tall hat on him I would at least know where he is. :)
Maybe like Nassarius snails it might have a periscope to show you where it is at feeding time.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back