Just when I thought I had things under control...

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Fish randomly started dying off again. I cannot keep doing this. It's absolutely killing me. Any signs of what might be going on here. Whitetail died about a week ago so I pulled the body immediately. Everyone else seemed ok... that was until monday when my puffer died. The today I find my gramma and starry dead and my blonde naso looking nasty.

Finally, any idea what is on top of my gyre in the last pic? Looks like rice.

I might have to take action and move the 4 fish I have in QT into observation before their third and final prazi dose. Then I need to round up the fish in my DT and get them into QT like asap.

I really just don't know what is happening in my tank.

Getting so close to throwing in the towel

HELP!!

#fishmedic #fishmedics

IMG_3470 2.jpeg IMG_3471 2.jpeg IMG_3472 2.jpeg IMG_3473 2.jpeg IMG_3474 2.jpeg IMG_3475 2.jpeg IMG_3476 2.jpeg IMG_3558.jpeg IMG_3606.jpeg IMG_3607.jpeg IMG_3608.jpeg IMG_3609.jpeg IMG_3610.jpeg IMG_3611.jpeg IMG_3612.jpeg IMG_3613.jpeg IMG_3614.jpeg IMG_3615.jpeg IMG_3616.jpeg IMG_3617.jpeg IMG_3626.jpeg IMG_3627.jpeg IMG_3628.jpeg IMG_3629.jpeg IMG_3630.jpeg IMG_3631.jpeg IMG_3632.jpeg IMG_3633.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it. Sorry.

Post mordum is pretty tough for me to ever tell anything.

Can you tell us more about the tank and fish history, and symptoms? Rapid breathing? Swimming into the flow of the powerheads? That would indicate velvet. Maybe flukes? Ich is usually a slow killer

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear!

It is REALLY tough to work backwards on problems like these; the dead fish don’t tell us much, a couple look like they were scavenged.

What fish remain?
The naso has an external infection of some sort, can you post a video?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fish randomly started dying off again. I cannot keep doing this. It's absolutely killing me. Any signs of what might be going on here. Whitetail died about a week ago so I pulled the body immediately. Everyone else seemed ok... that was until monday when my puffer died. The today I find my gramma and starry dead and my blonde naso looking nasty.

Finally, any idea what is on top of my gyre in the last pic? Looks like rice.

I might have to take action and move the 4 fish I have in QT into observation before their third and final prazi dose. Then I need to round up the fish in my DT and get them into QT like asap.

I really just don't know what is happening in my tank.

Getting so close to throwing in the towel

HELP!!

#fishmedic #fishmedics

IMG_3470 2.jpeg IMG_3471 2.jpeg IMG_3472 2.jpeg IMG_3473 2.jpeg IMG_3474 2.jpeg IMG_3475 2.jpeg IMG_3476 2.jpeg IMG_3558.jpeg IMG_3606.jpeg IMG_3607.jpeg IMG_3608.jpeg IMG_3609.jpeg IMG_3610.jpeg IMG_3611.jpeg IMG_3612.jpeg IMG_3613.jpeg IMG_3614.jpeg IMG_3615.jpeg IMG_3616.jpeg IMG_3617.jpeg IMG_3626.jpeg IMG_3627.jpeg IMG_3628.jpeg IMG_3629.jpeg IMG_3630.jpeg IMG_3631.jpeg IMG_3632.jpeg IMG_3633.jpeg
Remaining fish do need to go into quarantine and im thinking hyposalinity at 1.009 may be best as of now. The naso appears to have velvet and one eye even has protozoan on it.
On the Gyre, do you have it blocked with a screen of some sort ? I see pineapple sponge in several areas of little concern but if a screen is what I see, you may be limiting flow and surface agitation to the tank.
What is on at least naso is progressive. How long has fish been covered with this and are ant remaining fish eating and breathing normal or labored?
Are any fish swimming in path of flow or at water surface?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry I went MIA. Been a crazy couple days with work, life, etc. Woke up yesterday morning to a dead naso and a dead clownfish.

That leaves me with my 2 fish that have been to hell and back (my other clownfish and my pajama cardinal). Ich, velvet, heater failure, nothing has been able to claim these two fish. They look perfectly fine and are eating, swimming all that. My 2 McCosker flashers also look to be doing ok. Maybe the occasional white spot here or there. The black molly some days looks ok and others covered in white spots and or dust.

I'm completely at a loss here. The Naso was fine. Eating well, no labored breathing, seemed fine except for the discoloration of his skin.

No fish are swimming near the surface. The gyres do have some sort of screen on them, I bought them that way. I also having 2x MP40s and my 2 return nozzles so there is more than enough flow in there.

I just added a 57w Aqua Ultraviolet to the mix.

Trying to figure out my next move. I could try to round up my survivors and treat them, but they honestly seem ok. My concern is adding anything else to the tank. I have 4 fish about to start their 3rd round of prazi so they are nearing the final stages of QT and are going to be DT ready, but should I be doing anything to try to get this tank in better shape?

#fishmedic #fishmedics

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpeg
    IMG_3657.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3661.jpeg
    IMG_3661.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3662.jpeg
    IMG_3662.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3663.jpeg
    IMG_3663.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 12

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I went MIA. Been a crazy couple days with work, life, etc. Woke up yesterday morning to a dead naso and a dead clownfish.

That leaves me with my 2 fish that have been to hell and back (my other clownfish and my pajama cardinal). Ich, velvet, heater failure, nothing has been able to claim these two fish. They look perfectly fine and are eating, swimming all that. My 2 McCosker flashers also look to be doing ok. Maybe the occasional white spot here or there. The black molly some days looks ok and others covered in white spots and or dust.

I'm completely at a loss here. The Naso was fine. Eating well, no labored breathing, seemed fine except for the discoloration of his skin.

No fish are swimming near the surface. The gyres do have some sort of screen on them, I bought them that way. I also having 2x MP40s and my 2 return nozzles so there is more than enough flow in there.

I just added a 57w Aqua Ultraviolet to the mix.

Trying to figure out my next move. I could try to round up my survivors and treat them, but they honestly seem ok. My concern is adding anything else to the tank. I have 4 fish about to start their 3rd round of prazi so they are nearing the final stages of QT and are going to be DT ready, but should I be doing anything to try to get this tank in better shape?

#fishmedic #fishmedics

Sorry to see -

As I mentioned before, dead fish really don't tell us anything - fish get scavenged, or decompose in varying degrees, making it difficult to visually diagnose anything. The clownfish does look like it was attacked by another fish. We know the naso had spots on it earlier.

The UV will not solve an acute fish loss issue like this.

Since the prazi treatment didn't stop the fish loss, that pretty much leaves a protozoan disease. To treat that, you need to move all of the fish to a stable quarantine tank and treat them with coppersafe for 30 days and then do not return any fish to the DT for 60 days.

Jay

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry to see -

As I mentioned before, dead fish really don't tell us anything - fish get scavenged, or decompose in varying degrees, making it difficult to visually diagnose anything. The clownfish does look like it was attacked by another fish. We know the naso had spots on it earlier.

The UV will not solve an acute fish loss issue like this.

Since the prazi treatment didn't stop the fish loss, that pretty much leaves a protozoan disease. To treat that, you need to move all of the fish to a stable quarantine tank and treat them with coppersafe for 30 days and then do not return any fish to the DT for 60 days.

Jay
Just to be clear. I currently have 3 tanks. 155g DT which is where all the fish were sick and died. I have a 30 gal I use for frags and observation and a 20g QT.

I have now 4-5 fish remaining in the DT. I will likely catch and move them to QT. ONLY issue there is I have 4 other fish that are in mid QT... about to start their last round of prazi today. I can either move them TODAY into the Observation and start their last round of prazi (assuming prazi won't harm the coral).... or I guess I can flip all the coral into the DT since the tank is going fallow anyway...

Ok... how about this.

1. I move all coral out of observation into DT
2. Move current QT fish into observation for final round of prazipro
3. Move fish from DT into QT and start them on the 60 day clock
4. After 60 days - begin moving everyone back to DT

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear. I currently have 3 tanks. 155g DT which is where all the fish were sick and died. I have a 30 gal I use for frags and observation and a 20g QT.

I have now 4-5 fish remaining in the DT. I will likely catch and move them to QT. ONLY issue there is I have 4 other fish that are in mid QT... about to start their last round of prazi today. I can either move them TODAY into the Observation and start their last round of prazi (assuming prazi won't harm the coral).... or I guess I can flip all the coral into the DT since the tank is going fallow anyway...

Ok... how about this.

1. I move all coral out of observation into DT
2. Move current QT fish into observation for final round of prazipro
3. Move fish from DT into QT and start them on the 60 day clock
4. After 60 days - begin moving everyone back to DT
Sorry - the scenario is too complicated for me to really follow….your plan seems o.k., but I’m still concerned that the fish in your DT still are carriers of a disease. In that case, you need to run them through a full quarantine process while they are in the QT and while your DT is laying fallow.
Jay

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry - the scenario is too complicated for me to really follow….your plan seems o.k., but I’m still concerned that the fish in your DT still are carriers of a disease. In that case, you need to run them through a full quarantine process while they are in the QT and while your DT is laying fallow.
Jay
Sorry, i know it's a lot. When I say 60 day clock... I mean I'll be running them through a 60 day QT cycle again.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 53 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back