Just wondering who uses chinease 120w led or any brands of eBay?

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at aqua illumination and the razor for my 75 but I had seen a nice tank using the chinease LEDs but I was wondering if it was just advertisement . Any pics or statements are appreciated.

OP
OP
F

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not getting them most likely I'm just curious what they have to offer and some pictures of there results

LVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the blackbox chinese leds. It has two dimmable drivers and I was able to have them custom build it and choose the bulb colors and placement that I wanted. I've only had them set up for about a month so I don't have much to show as far as results go, but they seem good so far. The only downside I have with them is that as with most LEDs some sps colors just don't show up as well as they do under t5/mh so I had to add supplemental t5's.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that has these fixtures and I am not impressed. He had to alter them to make them work. He also bought two units and they have different spectrums. I would look into some of the LED units that the sponsors have. They have some pretty awesome fixtures.

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue and white ones work pretty well as long as they are a 2:1 blue to white ratio and the 3w leds. Here is a vid of a buddys tank. He has three of these and one halide on his 300g sps dominant tank. Marty1 - YouTube

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 x 119 watt Chinese led fixtures over my 90 gallon. I've been running them for over a year and couldn't be happier. I get great colors and great growth. Here's a couple of pictures for you.
Lights-
021-Copy-Copy.jpg

some pics..
024-13.jpg

009-23.jpg

013-27.jpg

SAM_1089.jpg

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They most definitely work. I am running two D120s on my 75G tank. The colors pop and I have had exceptional growth since I switched to them a couple of months ago on my SPS. I bought the standard royal blue and 10K white mix and only run them on 50% (they are dimmable). The only different choice I would have made was as somone else mentioned you can customize the colors for like $20/unit, and I would have liked to have put some violets and 6500Ks in the mix. I have seen mine compared to the AIs and Radions and for the cash I saved you can keep the thunderstorms and clouds and remote. I'll take my extra money and buy more coral :) Just my two cents.

OP
OP
F

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys that's interesting. And those pics say you have to log in. How long have you had them? Would you recommend them over two ais or a maxspect razor?thank you

BlueWaterTropicals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the LED fixtures on the market now are coming from China and all you have to do is put your label on it. We've even considered selling them with a remote...

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the right diodes, they are very effective at keeping all corals. Not all fixtures are created equally, differnet bridgelux diodes have different brightness, so one 120watt fixture might not be as bright as another. With that being said, the only difference between Bridgelux and Cree (Chinese and "name brand") is efficiency, you get more lumens for less watts with Cree XT-Es than you do with 3 watt Bridgelux diodes, but the cost is much lower, and you end up using about half the power of mh anyways. Another thing that is a must is dimmability, some fixtures are, some are not. I would avaoid any non dimmable fixture. As far as spectrum goes, Cree does not have 420nm, and 660nm LEDs, which I find to be very beneficial when it comes to supplementing colors. Another solution is DIY, you can mix high watt Crees and low watt 420nm and 660nm Bridgelux diodes, to get the spectrum and efficiency that you want.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, if you want full spectrum and all the bells and whistles these aren't the lights for you. I don't care about sunrise/sunset, clouds, remote, apex control, etc. If you want cheap dimmable lighting that is definitely reef capable go this route.

I just got mine off of Alibaba (Evergrow D120s $157/unit shipped). The shipping from China is rolled into the price. I don't know about the warranty that comes with them since I have had them for several months with no issues. If you are wanting to have a US distributor to deal with the warranty claims and ship replacements quicker etc, then pay a US reseller to get them for you. You'll pay about $40 more for the base unit, but then you don't have to wait for weeks for parts to ship from China. Plus most of the customer service is more sales oriented in China, so they are real good at taking your order, but from what I have heard not so good about fixing problems if they come up, so getting a US reseller might be the way to go if you are worried about that.

If I had it to do over again I would have bought the customizable version which allows you to pick what LEDs you want. I think the standard royal blue and 10K does lack some lower spectrum violet/blue that keeps some of the coral from fluorescing (that black light pop you get with actinic T5s). My solution was to take an old power compact fixture I had and putting it in the hood for the actinic pop. I would probably also get them to make up several extra units so that if I did have a problem I wouldn't be waiting for weeks w/o lighting. They are cheap enough to just get two extra to shelve just in case and you'll probably get a little break for buying multiple units.

That is another thing about these lights: hanging them. If someone mass produced some kind of feet for them that was easily retrofitted onto the unit they would make a fortune on Ebay. Hanging these things is a big pain in the neck. I tried hanging them from the ceiling and they were constantly getting twisted because I didn't want to drill more than one hole per unit in my room's ceiling. I wound up having to build an open topped hood to hang them inside. If anyone has a good idea for hanging them feel free to PM me or post it up here because I'd love to have something other than a bulky oak canopy over my tank to house these.

Last edited:

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having them for about s year now. No issues what so ever. I've found some on aliexpress that you can specify the LED color. RB, blue, red, green, white, UV. That's my next purchase.

I have a mixed reef, sps, LPS, clams. It works for me.
I've said this before and I will always say it:
"There are many experts on reef aquariums... but you're the only expert with your budget"

The 50/50 fixture on my 120
uve9agus.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back