JustJax's 20 Gallon Waterbox Cube Build

JustJax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

Im Justin & I live in South Florida. This is my first reef tank build, I am transitioning over from freshwater. I am really excited to get this tank up and running, I got it set up yesterday and started cycling. I am a very impatient person to be completely honest, however I know that this hobby requires it. I plan to take my time with this and do it the right way! I am not sure what type of fish I will be stocking it with in the future, so I'm open to any and all suggestions!

My Current Setup:
  • Waterbox Cube 20 with White Stand
  • Nero 3 Powerhead
  • AI PRIME 16 HD
  • Cobalt 100W Heater
  • Autoaqua Smart ATO lite
  • CaribSea Arag Fiji Pink Live Sand
  • CaribSea Shapes LifeRock
  • Microbacter7 and ammonia

Trying to decide on whether I want to get a protein skimmer, and am also heavily considering getting a RO/DI. I will keep this thread updated as time goes on! Happy Reefing!

8204465C-4FD5-4006-90BC-E58B675F9131.JPG 63804907795--DC58BA49-CE58-48DD-BA42-2B40684A5CE1.jpg IMG-6951.jpg IMG-6968.jpg

GATOR DAVE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also just starting my waterbox 20 and live up in Jacksonville. I am tracking your progress as I set my tank up, but I do plan on running a tunze 9001 skimmer in the second chamber right from the beginning. It is also my first saltwater tank but I have a great friend mentoring me on it as he has an established reef tank. Hoping to get water in mine this weekend!

OP
OP
JustJax

JustJax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also just starting my waterbox 20 and live up in Jacksonville. I am tracking your progress as I set my tank up, but I do plan on running a tunze 9001 skimmer in the second chamber right from the beginning. It is also my first saltwater tank but I have a great friend mentoring me on it as he has an established reef tank. Hoping to get water in mine this weekend!
Awesome! I'm actually from Jacksonville. I was planning on running the same skimmer but cant find it anywhere. Create a build post for your tank!

GATOR DAVE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to search for a while but they had a skimmer at aquatic warehouse in California. It just came in the mail today so I will start posting a few pictures when I get home from work of the tank coming together.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome Justin :) Sounds like an awesome build! Following along

OP
OP
JustJax

JustJax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun day today, came home from work and my light, and ATO arrived! Woohoo! I set up some cable management under the cabinet to keep it nice and clean. The AI prime 16 is awesome and im looking forward to messing around with it. I have the light on for the picture, but will keep it off while the tank cycles.

Thanks all for following along. What do you think of my scape? Any suggestions!

828303B4-5871-4277-87E6-D7E21E1DB03B.JPG IMG-6974.jpg

OP
OP
JustJax

JustJax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been about 2 days of cycling. I started the tank dosing MicroBacter7, on the same day I added 2ppm worth of ammonia.

Whilst doing research, I found Fritz-zyme turbostart 900. I knew I needed to run to the store to try it, apparently it can be thrown in and fish can be too. However, I am going to use it to test and see if I can cycle the tank sooner.

I put in 1oz of it, which supports up to 25 gallons. Given my tank is about 16 gallons of water, I think itll do well. I will update this thread on my levels as the day goes by so you can see my progress with the product. I am hopeful, I have heard this thing works wonders.

Day 2:

Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: .5ppm
Nitrate: Little under 5ppm
PH: 8.2

Yes I am using API and yes I am going to get something better to test my water here shortly. Sorry my pictures came out so blue, this light rocks. (I just turn it on here and there to mask in its beauty) its off most of the time.

Attachments

• IMG-6981.jpg
    IMG-6981.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-6982.jpg
    IMG-6982.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 54

GATOR DAVE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun day today, came home from work and my light, and ATO arrived! Woohoo! I set up some cable management under the cabinet to keep it nice and clean. The AI prime 16 is awesome and im looking forward to messing around with it. I have the light on for the picture, but will keep it off while the tank cycles.

Thanks all for following along. What do you think of my scape? Any suggestions!

828303B4-5871-4277-87E6-D7E21E1DB03B.JPG IMG-6974.jpg
Justjax, How are you liking you ATO?? I am still trying to figure which one I want to go with and since we have the same tank builds going on thought I would ask. Also, how much evaporation are you seeing in your tank?? I will be adding cycled water from an established tank hopefully very soon

OP
OP
JustJax

JustJax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justjax, How are you liking you ATO?? I am still trying to figure which one I want to go with and since we have the same tank builds going on thought I would ask. Also, how much evaporation are you seeing in your tank?? I will be adding cycled water from an established tank hopefully very soon
Its working wonderfully! Cant complain one bit! My temp is about 80 right now for the cycle, and its been about 4 days and ive lost 2-2.5 gallons. Not too bad!

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

Im Justin & I live in South Florida. This is my first reef tank build, I am transitioning over from freshwater. I am really excited to get this tank up and running, I got it set up yesterday and started cycling. I am a very impatient person to be completely honest, however I know that this hobby requires it. I plan to take my time with this and do it the right way! I am not sure what type of fish I will be stocking it with in the future, so I'm open to any and all suggestions!

My Current Setup:
  • Waterbox Cube 20 with White Stand
  • Nero 3 Powerhead
  • AI PRIME 16 HD
  • Cobalt 100W Heater
  • Autoaqua Smart ATO lite
  • CaribSea Arag Fiji Pink Live Sand
  • CaribSea Shapes LifeRock
  • Microbacter7 and ammonia

Trying to decide on whether I want to get a protein skimmer, and am also heavily considering getting a RO/DI. I will keep this thread updated as time goes on! Happy Reefing!

8204465C-4FD5-4006-90BC-E58B675F9131.JPG 63804907795--DC58BA49-CE58-48DD-BA42-2B40684A5CE1.jpg IMG-6951.jpg IMG-6968.jpg
Red Sea sells a carbon dosing kit brs has it. I tried it and it works great you can always throw a piece of shrimp in there to get things going faster. Good luck

freezie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it. I’m also in south Florida, also just got a wb20, Nero 3, prime 16, and auto aqua ato lol. Custom stand though from a previous purchase. Keep us posted!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back