Juvenile clown fish food

spamvicious

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2022
Messages
634
Reaction score
226
Location
Yorkshire
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two very small clownfish, the size of my thumbnail small. I’ve only had them a week and I’m also cycling my tank so only feeding the minimum.

I’m looking for food recommendations that’s going to keep them healthy and also make them grow quickly. I bought some pellets but they are too big for their mouths. So at the moment they are only having some frozen cyclops.
 
I have two very small clownfish, the size of my thumbnail small. I’ve only had them a week and I’m also cycling my tank so only feeding the minimum.

I’m looking for food recommendations that’s going to keep them healthy and also make them grow quickly. I bought some pellets but they are too big for their mouths. So at the moment they are only having some frozen cyclops.
TDO Chroma Boost Pellets, probably either B1 or B2 would be my suggestion - you can supplement it with some NLS Marine Fish Pellets if you're willing to crush them a bit, but it's not really necessary.
 
TDO Chroma Boost Pellets, probably either B1 or B2 would be my suggestion - you can supplement it with some NLS Marine Fish Pellets if you're willing to crush them a bit, but it's not really necessary.
I currently have a batch of babies that are about this size maybe slightly smaller. they are consistently eating B2. That would be my recommendation.



OP did you buy them at this size? In my opinion this is to small to be selling. They should be at least 3/4 inch long. The rate of loss significantly decreases at that size.
 
I currently have a batch of babies that are about this size maybe slightly smaller. they are consistently eating B2. That would be my recommendation.



OP did you buy them at this size? In my opinion this is to small to be selling. They should be at least 3/4 inch long. The rate of loss significantly decreases at that size.

Yes I bought them from a friend who breeds clown fish. He did say they seemed to be growing slowly so I guess I’ll just have to hope for the best.
 
TDO Chroma Boost Pellets, probably either B1 or B2 would be my suggestion - you can supplement it with some NLS Marine Fish Pellets if you're willing to crush them a bit, but it's not really necessary.
I’ll have a look now thanks
 
The size of them and a close up. This is my 52l tank.

IMG_0865.jpeg
 
The size of them and a close up. This is my 52l tank.

IMG_0865.jpeg

The main problem with such small clowns in such a large tank is the amount of food they will need in order to grow and develop. Because you will have to feed more than you think, the water quality can be affected quickly. I suggest a feeding ring where the pellets will stay floating before they sink and "teaching" your clowns that this is where food comes from. When feeding my babies in the grow out, i have to do water changes often to make sure the water quality stays good.
 
The main problem with such small clowns in such a large tank is the amount of food they will need in order to grow and develop. Because you will have to feed more than you think, the water quality can be affected quickly. I suggest a feeding ring where the pellets will stay floating before they sink and "teaching" your clowns that this is where food comes from. When feeding my babies in the grow out, i have to do water changes often to make sure the water quality stays good.
Yeah at the moment I’m using a long dropper to put the frozen food right in front of them but they still miss some. I’m just trying to get through the cycle before doing any water changes.
 
Many of my clownfish, including my multibar angelfish, really like Golden Pearls. They come in many different sizes.

As stated above small clownfish will need lots of small feedings. You can also look for automated fish feeder to feed small portions while you are not there.
 
I bought some of the tdo chroma and it is going down well. However I’m finding the container annoying to get small amounts out. Can I take it out and put it in another container as long as it’s still refrigerated?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new