Juvenile flasher wrasse stressed after transport

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the way I understand salinity is that fish often do better with a sudden decrease better than a sudden increase. The .004 increase could have also hurt the fish. They are delicate fish

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this little one is improving. While I don’t have experience with wrasses, I’ve nursed several sick tangs back to health that have suffered shipment injuries. I’m a big believer in airstones, keeping lights off, lower salinity and very frequent water changes if he’s in a qt tank. Keep the water as oxygenated and clean as possible for him and avoid any stimulation that could stress him further. Wishing you all the best

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the way I understand salinity is that fish often do better with a sudden decrease better than a sudden increase. The .004 increase could have also hurt the fish. They are delicate fish

Yep, that makes sense. I've definitely learned a lot from my mistakes here.

I hope this little one is improving. While I don’t have experience with wrasses, I’ve nursed several sick tangs back to health that have suffered shipment injuries. I’m a big believer in airstones, keeping lights off, lower salinity and very frequent water changes if he’s in a qt tank. Keep the water as oxygenated and clean as possible for him and avoid any stimulation that could stress him further. Wishing you all the best

It has very, very slightly improved from earlier today. Great advice, thank you! The airstone has been in the tank since this afternoon, and I've already got water mixing to do a water change in the morning.

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn’t make it. Thanks for those who tried to help, I appreciate it.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. I had a wrasse last about 36 hours I bought last week. I think sometimes they just get so stressed with all the traveling they do it’s hard to get them to acclimate to tank life. I got another one that was at the lfs for 2 weeks and was eating mysis shrimp really well and she is doing great so far. I’m thinking for these fish its not a bad idea going forward for me to get ones that have sat for a while. Downside is they can get snatched up quickly.

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. I had a wrasse last about 36 hours I bought last week. I think sometimes they just get so stressed with all the traveling they do it’s hard to get them to acclimate to tank life. I got another one that was at the lfs for 2 weeks and was eating mysis shrimp really well and she is doing great so far. I’m thinking for these fish its not a bad idea going forward for me to get ones that have sat for a while. Downside is they can get snatched up quickly.
That’s exactly what drove my decision to get this one, unfortunately. This LFS is one of the only ones locally that has a robust QT process, which means their inventory is often gone the day it’s out of QT.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost em. I moved 8 hours away many years ago and packed up all my healthy fish and brought them with me. The only fish that didn’t look good and ultimately died the next day was my flasher wrasse. I had it a full year already but the 8 hour drive and it was just not swimming right and died. All other fish totally fine. These guys seem quite delicate.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn’t make it. Thanks for those who tried to help, I appreciate it.
Sorry for the loss. Such a strange issue. I’ve had a pintail for 30days and it was getting bullied and I put in a separate tank. It’s now exhibiting the same symptoms as yours.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back