OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ones the return. Asked because I’m deciding how to do mine. Think it comes with Maggie mufflers but thinking bean animal. Would like to have two drains and one emergency but then my emergency won’t keep up if both clog.
Ill post any research i find and share bud. I just requested to join the SCA FB group. Gonna ask about the rear glass then. I dont know enough to make any decisions. Still a rookie at 2.5years reefing and i know it.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFTER I ALREADY ANSWERED THEM????? AAAHHHHHH
You need some sleep!

I wouldn't bother drilling, keep it all internal so you can keep it close to the wall. Herbie is plenty of drain.
I have so much water below josh... id like the peace of mind of a BA if i can get it. Plus, a drilled return custom is much more my profile and i enjoy it. The space it would be off the wall would be fine for me. The stand is going to be oversized to accomodate the sump. I could easily expand the coverage of the stand to the wall to hide to plumbing in the rear. We shall see.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy challeneges :)

Just remembered the rock has been bleaching for a week. Might be time for a rinse. And then ordering all the paraphernalia for the cycling process...

Hmmm.. ESV or Tropic Marin are where im at for salts. Spending a little more for a better product is fine with me now that a 10% wc will only be about 7 gallons

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy challeneges :)

Just remembered the rock has been bleaching for a week. Might be time for a rinse. And then ordering all the paraphernalia for the cycling process...

Hmmm.. ESV or Tropic Marin are where im at for salts. Spending a little more for a better product is fine with me now that a 10% wc will only be about 7 gallons
Is it really a better salt? I think it mostly is for our mind witch keeps us believing and keeping up with the tank more. Also I wouldn’t think for cycling the rock it would matter any. All things I ponder through out my day lol

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tool time. Full package.

I suppose the salts dont matter, but on a bacterial preference level, i cant help but think the TM probiotic that @Raege switched to cant hurt. Idk yet. Rocks are still bleaching. Ill rinse them tomorrow. Just got done plowing for 4 hrs.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2cents on salt TM bio actif is pricey but pharma grade with stuff for fish digestion can't hurt and from stuff I've read helps in fish health. Humans show on probiotics for digestion and we'll being why not the fish we spent..... Well never mind who spent what :rolleyes:
allegedly fish live to 25 years of age? Nope but I added velvet with a coral purchase 98.5 % sure velvet. No deaths in about 4 days gave time to get another tank going I only lost couple to disease rest to stupidity on room temp over active ac.
anecdotal in some aspects yuppers but considering the human benefits articles on use in fish.
I million ways for a successful tank not much is 100% needed except water quality and stability and that comes in the million combos of ways.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What paraphernalia are you going with this time?
I missed this originally bud, sorry.

I want the most diverse bacteria balance i can possibly manage durring cycle. So im going in heavy on the bacteria in a bottle(biab). And due to the concept that each manufacturer mpst likely has their own "diversity balance" recipe thats unique. So im going use a combination of 3 or 4 different B.i.a.B.'s.

Currently leaning towards...
Dr Tims
Seachem
Brightwell
Zeovit
Fritz

Hopefully over the 5 or 6 months, a bacteria lab test sample will give me an idea as to whether or not i presumed correct.

CYCLE

The goal is to try to cycle as close to natural as possible. Due to the fact ive got 5 months and no rush, ill start with the raw shrimp.

Once i hit the first decline in ammonia, im going to begin a Live Phyto and Pod dosing schedule. I really dont want to culture my own, but maybe this time of solitude is the perfect time to take on a new project.

At the first sign of an ugly in the brute, im going to introduce 2 mexican turbos, and a mix of small-specie snails only. Ceryths, trochus, not sure yet. I am skipping hermit crabs in the build. They are cute and all, but the snails should manage the rock work without issue through the second half of the cycling, and provide enough ammonia to sustain what i need. I will also get a peace of mind on guaranteed fallow for the inverts through the last 90 days of the cycle before going live.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bachelor's Reef. Dining room. ;Smuggrin
20201206_080302.jpg

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20201206-073644_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have decided on a LifeGard Turbo reactor. Medium size. 75g - 150g. Pump built into the base. Discharges right next to it. As advised by a few youtubers and some reviews, it is best to place the reactor out-pipe right in front of your skimmer intake.
20201206_074914.jpg

20201206_080343.jpg

I know you like that reactor model i built...
20201206_080207.jpg

Tissue box cut to footprint + String pasta mason jar + carboard papertowel core. Boom. ;Troll

Sump is coming to life on paper.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back