Kalk dosing help

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve been planning ahead for dosing kalk. Right now water changes are enough to keep levels in check, but i know eventually i will need something more.

I’m set on dosing kalk fully saturated in a separate container with a dosing pump. My question is which dosing pump is best to dose this? I’m not sure if i will be dosing all day or only at night yet. I feel like the BRS 1.1 pump is too small for my 80 gallon system once it’s a heavy demand. Any thoughts?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m set on dosing kalk fully saturated in a separate container with a dosing pump.
I think that's the best way to do it.
My question is which dosing pump is best to dose this? I’m not sure if i will be dosing all day or only at night yet. I feel like the BRS 1.1 pump is too small for my 80 gallon system once it’s a heavy demand. Any thoughts?
I use an Aqua Lifter, but apparently those are hard to find now-a-days.

You're right, a 1.1 mL / minute doser would only give you 1600 mLs per day if it ran non stop, and they aren't meant for continuous operation.

BRS does make a Top Off Doser that is 50 mL per minute. You could set that up to a timer to run for a few minutes a few times a day. I haven't used it, so I don't know how good it is.

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's the best way to do it.

I use an Aqua Lifter, but apparently those are hard to find now-a-days.

You're right, a 1.1 mL / minute doser would only give you 1600 mLs per day if it ran non stop, and they aren't meant for continuous operation.

BRS does make a Top Off Doser that is 50 mL per minute. You could set that up to a timer to run for a few minutes a few times a day. I haven't used it, so I don't know how good it is.
I was just a little worried that the 50ml would be too much and i wouldn’t be able to spread the dose out too far. Maybe I’m just been over thinking it. Never done dosing before

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just a little worried that the 50ml would be too much and i wouldn’t be able to spread the dose out too far. Maybe I’m just been over thinking it. Never done dosing before
Your 80 gallon system will likely evaporate somewhere in the 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon range per day, so about 2000-4000 ml per day, if that helps.

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add the kalk into my daily top off water. my tank is small enough to use a doser but for larger tanks, if you have an ATO, that would work fine
Yeah i see a lot of people doing that, but Iv also see tank crashed from the ATO getting stuck on, and kalk is harsh on internal pumps. Also evaporation changes with the seasons where I’m at and my tank. So the dosage of kalk would go up and down throughout the year. I would rather have a separate tank to dose it from.

Bph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Never us kalkwasser in ato the best way is to mix it in a separate container and only dose it at night. As for dosing pump I use my apex dossing pump there are many dossing pumps to use . Happy Reefing and good luck B.

thresher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Kamoer X1 T pro. It utilizes a step motor and can be set on a constant run mode. I feel this is the best way to run it as the constant flow allows for dried kalk to never build up to clog the lines or at least minimize it. The other option is the Versa but it is 2-3 times the cost and good luck finding one in stock.

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Kamoer X1 T pro. It utilizes a step motor and can be set on a constant run mode. I feel this is the best way to run it as the constant flow allows for dried kalk to never build up to clog the lines or at least minimize it. The other option is the Versa but it is 2-3 times the cost and good luck finding one in stock.
Thank you! That’s exactly what i was looking for looks like the perfect pump to constantly drip kalk has a range from 1ml to 70ml per min.

Back