Kalk Dosing Options

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 20 gallon AIO tank with LPS and softies. I had two separate ATO containers, one with kalk and one without kalk. The one without kalk was used as a regular topoff. The one with kalk had a doser that delivered kalk to the tank. The doser unfortunately died recently.

I've since added kalk to the main ATO and delivered kalk during the topoff. I found that the levels weren't keeping up so I added a pump to the ATO container to stir the kalk once a minute every hour.

I've been considering what the best way to add kalk is...what do you think is the best?

1) Kalk stirrer/reactor - Never used one before. Would it work with an AIO tank?
2) A separate container with mixed kalk and dose it with a doser
3) Add kalk to the topoff water and mix it up every hour to keep it highly concentrated

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kalk reactor would last longer because the doser is not coming in contact with the kalk, just water from your ato. Your doser just pumps water from your ato into the reactor and the excess overflows out of the kalk reactor. That being said it's not necessary to run a reactor and if you're worried about cost #2 is also a viable option that a lot of people use with success. You must keep up with maintenance on your lines otherwise they will clog, and fast.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Number 2. I use a peristaltic type pump, there are several affordable brands, make sure to have a spare piece of surgical tubing for the pump part. They can wear out and not pull like they should.

I started with a less than saturated solution, my doser hooked to a light timer, dosing every 15 minutes, take it slow, test often. If kalk doesn't do it for you, you can use the pump to dose something different.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back