Kalk or all for reef?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do wanna start dosing and I know I will have to eventually so I was wondering what would be the better pick? Kalk or all for reef? Does all for reef raise alk, calcium, and trace elements?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really really really need to do more research on what exactly dosing is for and what products to use. Especially if you're asking whether or not to dose kalk or All-For-Reef. The only similarity those two products share is that you dose them.
^^^This!

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really really really need to do more research on what exactly dosing is for and what products to use. Especially if you're asking whether or not to dose kalk or All-For-Reef. The only similarity those two products share is that you dose them.
I don't agree. Kalk is a one part Calcium and Alkalinity; AFR is a one part Calcium, Alkalinity, and trace elements. They use different delivery methods to achieve the same results.

What are you trying to claim is the difference?

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do wanna start dosing and I know I will have to eventually so I was wondering what would be the better pick? Kalk or all for reef? Does all for reef raise alk, calcium, and trace elements?
Volume of your tank and budget are the deciding factors. I'm on team AFR. The cost is manageable if you buy in the powdered form and mix yourself. But, do yourself a favor and invest in a 1000 ML beaker, digital scale, and magnetic stirrer if you decide to go that route.

Also, do a week or more of consecutive daily testing of Alkalinity and Calcium before you decide to make a change to your dosing amounts of AFR. Because the biological process in which the Alkalinity is released is a slow process compared to Kalk. Which can lead to overdosing very easily if you make changes to large or to fast.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For kalk I've seen people run it in atos but also dripping it. What method do you guys prefer
You need to test and see what your tank uses in a given period of time... You may not even need to dose anything. The amount your corals use that can't be replenished through water changes will help you determine how, what, and when to dose.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I'm reading your other threads wrong, your tank is a month old, correct?
And it's 15 gallons?

Screenshot_20221110-010805.png

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree. Kalk is a one part Calcium and Alkalinity; AFR is a one part Calcium, Alkalinity, and trace elements. They use different delivery methods to achieve the same results.

What are you trying to claim is the difference?

How can they achieve the same results if one is loaded with trace elements, and the other is not?

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can they achieve the same results if one is loaded with trace elements, and the other is not?
They both maintain Alkalinity and Calcium. AFR has the added benefit of containing magnesium and trace elements at the same rate they are consumed in ration with Alkalinity and Calcium. But the main purpose of AFR is alkalinity and calcium dosing. And, you dang sure wouldn't dose both AFR and Kalk.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both maintain Alkalinity and Calcium. AFR has the added benefit of containing magnesium and trace elements at the same rate they are consumed in ration with Alkalinity and Calcium. But the main purpose of AFR is alkalinity and calcium dosing. But, you dang sure wouldn't dose both AFR and Kalk.

They are very different. Do you think there will ever be a situation where rate of consumption, and the ratio in that bottle will lead to a problem with certain elements?

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very different. Do you think there will ever be a situation where rate of consumption, and the ratio in that bottle will lead to a problem with certain elements?
It is possible, but not likely. Tropic Marin specifically designed AFR in ratios that the trace elements are consumed at the rate they are dosed. It isn't "loaded" with trace elements.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible, but not likely. Tropic Marin specifically designed AFR in ratios that the trace elements are consumed at the rate they are dosed. It isn't "loaded" with trace elements.

How would they design a product that can adopt to every tanks consumption of every element? Every tank has a different bioload, biomass, etc. Every tank will consume most elements differently. So when your tank is heavy on Boron and Moly, and mine is heavy on Fluoride and Iodine, what will we do then? Can we adjust their ratio in the bottle? :)

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would they design a product that can adopt to every tanks consumption of every element? Every tank has a different bioload, biomass, etc. Every tank will consume most elements differently. So when your tank is heavy on Boron and Moly, and mine is heavy on Fluoride and Iodine, what will we do then? Can we adjust their ratio in the bottle? :)
My best guess is the chemical engineers at Tropic Marin, which happens to have a long proven track record in marine aquaculture going back to 1964, are much smarter than random people on the internet.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess is the chemical engineers at Tropic Marin, which happens to have a long proven track record in marine aquaculture going back to 1964, are much smarter than random people on the internet.

My best guess is that you bought into the hype. You cannot make a product that will work for every tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 35 36.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 53.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.1%
Back