Kalk paste for mushroom control?

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dilemma is that my mushrooms (blue and also metallic green) have had a population explosion and are killing my corals. I am using Vibrant again to hold them back but it is taking to long to have an effect. I have used water putty but it leaves an unsightly patch. Please explain the use of k alk paste and if just disolve or not. Thanks

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always mixed it to a toothpaste consistency. Turn off all flow and completely cover whatever I'm going after. I leave flow off for another 10 mins or so. A tiny bit will blow off after pumps turn back on.
In paste form like this it does not dissolve. I just used some 3 days ago for some aiptasia and the glob is still sitting there

OP
OP
Ocean Lotion

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always mixed it to a toothpaste consistency. Turn off all flow and completely cover whatever I'm going after. I leave flow off for another 10 mins or so. A tiny bit will blow off after pumps turn back on.
In paste form like this it does not dissolve. I just used some 3 days ago for some aiptasia and the glob is still sitting there
Does it adhere to the rock or is it easy to remove?

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always left it on the rock. Eventually it disappears. My guess would be it would crumble if you tried to remove it but it's just a guess

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Kalk paste will work, but it can kill or damage other corals if you aren't careful.
I make up the paste as thick as I can, but still able to get it sucked up in a syringe. ( no needle).
Turn off all of the pumps.
Layer it on so it completely covers. I like to let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
Then, siphon off the kalk paste. Any left on will blow around the tank when you turn the pumps back on and it has the potential to kill other corals.
You may have to hit each area a couple times to be effective.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back