Kalk questions

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started dosing kalk via my ATO. I am dosing 1 tsp. per gallon. My aquarium evaporates about 3 gallons a day. My ATO reservoir holds 5 gallons. There is under a gallon that the pump cant get off the bottom of the reservoir. My ATO reservoir is automated (self-filling with RO water when it hits the low level) and refills itself roughly every other day. My question is about when to add the kalk mix. Should I add the dose for 3 gallons (evaporation rate) every day? Or should I add the dose for 5 gallons every other day when the water refills? The timing on the refill isn't like clockwork, so it seems like it would be better to add every day just in case I'm not home to dose after a refill. Will the super saturated kalk eventually become saturated? What do you think?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started dosing kalk via my ATO. I am dosing 1 tsp. per gallon. My aquarium evaporates about 3 gallons a day. My ATO reservoir holds 5 gallons. There is under a gallon that the pump cant get off the bottom of the reservoir. My ATO reservoir is automated (self-filling with RO water when it hits the low level) and refills itself roughly every other day. My question is about when to add the kalk mix. Should I add the dose for 3 gallons (evaporation rate) every day? Or should I add the dose for 5 gallons every other day when the water refills? The timing on the refill isn't like clockwork, so it seems like it would be better to add every day just in case I'm not home to dose after a refill. Will the super saturated kalk eventually become saturated? What do you think?
Since you are removing 3 gallons per day, add kalk for that amount. You may or may not be saturated at 1 tsp per gallon. Be sure to test alkalinity very frequently at first.

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are removing 3 gallons per day, add kalk for that amount. You may or may not be saturated at 1 tsp per gallon. Be sure to test alkalinity very frequently at first.
Thanks! I've been dosing gravity fed kalk drip for the last month or so and my alk has been stable. But with my float inlet being above the water line, the kalk clogged it a couple times. I just switched to a pump ATO system this week. The ATO pump top off is a little less frequent, so hopefully it doesnt cause spikes. I have a better ATO in the closet, but no pump for it currently. It's on my shopping list though.

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add that I am dosing a small amount of 2 part every hour to help with stability throughout the day.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add that I am dosing a small amount of 2 part every hour to help with stability throughout the day.
I used kalk in my ATO for years and it works. Small amounts throughout the day and night worked best for me.

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing I was wondering-after a kalk dose, SHOULD Alk rise? If so, by how much? I just happened to test an hour before top off and Alk was 9.2. Then I tested 5 minutes after kalk top off, and Alk was 9.3. I havent figured out how many times a day my top off happens yet, but I figure a small increase like that is a good thing. For reference my alk consumption is about 1 dkh a day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing I was wondering-after a kalk dose, SHOULD Alk rise? If so, by how much? I just happened to test an hour before top off and Alk was 9.2. Then I tested 5 minutes after kalk top off, and Alk was 9.3. I havent figured out how many times a day my top off happens yet, but I figure a small increase like that is a good thing. For reference my alk consumption is about 1 dkh a day.

The limewater (kalkwasser) may be weaker than saturated, but this calculator will show much much alk and calcium it adds when saturated:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An option would be to mix up the kalk to 1 teaspoon per gallon in a different container. Then transfer the clear liquid to the ATO.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back