Kalk Saturation long term

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I?
Dump a bag of kalk powder into a 50 gallon brute container that is also fed with my RODI. I was thinking that if saturation maxes out at 2tsb a gallon, i could essentially just mix the container with a timed power head a couple times a day until the saturation is no longer at maximum. In which case i could repeat the process. Essentially, i am trying to reduce maintenace of constanly having to make batches of kalk up. I do know that over mixing or too much surface agitation can introduce unwanted CO2. But i was thinking low and slow with a lid on. I want to start dosing kalk to get my ph up since it is chronically low with 5 people and a dog in a smallish home.

I have watched many videos and read many threads. I cannot seem to find this answer although its probably slapping me in the face.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be easier if you do it batch wise once a week or month or however long the water lasts because it can take hours for the undissolved particles to settle out.

OP
OP
Heabel7

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming back. I went against this advice due to laziness.

I feel like I’m running my brute container like a kalk stirrer. I add water then mix again. As long as there is powder still in the container does this continue to work? I notice more than usual crystallization in the water before I add more to top it off. How much does this affect the saturation long term?

I feel like if I see lots of kalk powder on the bottom, all I have to do is mix to resaturate. Is that accurate?

Multiple questions in here. Thanks

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel like I’m running my brute container like a kalk stirrer. I add water then mix again. As long as there is powder still in the container does this continue to work? I notice more than usual crystallization in the water before I add more to top it off. How much does this affect the saturation long term?

I feel like if I see lots of kalk powder on the bottom, all I have to do is mix to resaturate. Is that accurate?

I dont think you can bend the science to work in your favor on this one, the advice was good, I'd use it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Powder does not imply available calcium hydroxide. Calcium carbonate collects over time and settles on the bottom. Conductivity is a better way to gauge potency, with pH a distant second.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back