Kalk stirrer clean out

  • Thread starter Thread starter Harpo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
401
Location
Royal Oak, Mi
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
For those of you using a kalk stirrer how frequently are you cleaning it out? Is it supposed to dissolve completely?

Thanks
 
I don't think it dissolves completely. That sediment has to be cleaned out. I haven't done mine yet and it's been months. I don't see any issues so far.
 
Probably depends on which Kalk you’re using (some clump up more than others), how much Kalk and flow you’re running. Back when I ran one, I could go a year with Mississippi lime (about 2-3 cups a week) at just over 3 gallons a day. I had a couple bags of the brs brand that I tried but the stirrer would start to bog after a couple months or so.
 
i clean out the k1 cylinder with a tool like this:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...l-kerosene-pump-3050305?gStoreCode=2712&gQT=1
1751051441161.png


i do not to move the unit from it's location; i siphon out as much kalk from directly from the bottom while trying not to turn it into a cloud, add my half cup of kalk, top her off, walk away.

takes me 5 minutes or so. i do this once per month, give or take.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new