Kalk Stirrer Losing pH potency after a week

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using avast kalk stirrer k1 for a while now. I have noticed that no matter how much kalkwasser I add after each refresh, the pH increase in my display slowly decreases each day while dosing the same amount of (continuous drip for 12 hours with a peristaltic pump). What is also weird is that I am still get the increase in alkalinity that I need just without the pH increase in the display. What could be the issue and how can I solve it besides adding fresh kalk every few days. I have attached graph of my alk and pH. I also confirmed the calibration of my ph probes as well. Thank you!

4F50E54C-70E2-4B56-B7AC-584169846E69.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, but you might be running a bit on the high side (8.6 pH) - so it's possible that your tank is naturally trending down to more normalized levels between 8.1-8.3 pH.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the drawbacks to a stirrer relative to a settled reservoir is the challenge to getting saturated limewater. I expect that is the issue even if it’s not showing readily in alk.
There’s no possibility that it can actually be delivering the same alk and less of a pH effect unless there is calcium carbonate sediment present that is getting delivered as a slurry, and it is making its way to the alk test, where it would dissolve and give a false high alk reading.

OP
OP
F

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the drawbacks to a stirrer relative to a settled reservoir is the challenge to getting saturated limewater. I expect that is the issue even if it’s not showing readily in alk.
There’s no possibility that it can actually be delivering the same alk and less of a pH effect unless there is calcium carbonate sediment present that is getting delivered as a slurry, and it is making its way to the alk test, where it would dissolve and give a false high alk reading.
Thanks for the reply Randy! Is there a way to improve the performance of the stirrer (I already added the zip ties) to get it to be more saturated in the reactor? Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Randy! Is there a way to improve the performance of the stirrer (I already added the zip ties) to get it to be more saturated in the reactor? Thank you

Does it stir 24/7 or just intermittently?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same thing awhile back and posted a thread on it. Some useful info in it on this issue.

I no longer use the Geo reactor in continuous dosing mode. I simply swapped the input and output and use the pump to mix freshly added kalk, then pull from the settled reactor for a few days and then refill with fresh water and kalk and start over. About once a month I dump the undissolved kalk and start afresh.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back