BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't provide much specs.
One thing jump put, they recommended using 1413uS/cm for calibration so I think the range isn't good enough for us.
Randy said the range is fine for salt and kalkwasser

The 1414us/cm = 1.4ms/cm

*I think lol

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with visual and keepthe stirarer running 24 hrs. If it’s cloudy with kalk on the bottom it’s working is my theory.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with visual and keepthe stirarer running 24 hrs. If it’s cloudy with kalk on the bottom it’s working is my theory.

Unless the solid is residual calcium carbonate. :)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do notice that as the calcium hydroxide gets spent the stratification cloud is higher in the reactor.

Randy has a good point, unless you're regularly servicing your reactor and removing what's left behind, you could be fooling yourself.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do notice that as the calcium hydroxide gets spent the stratification cloud is higher in the reactor.

Randy has a good point, unless you're regularly servicing your reactor and removing what's left behind, you could be fooling yourself.
no Worries, 30 years of kalk use yet never felt a need to stick a ph probe into it . Sometimes Simple works I did say kalk on the bottom, not calcium carbonate buildup. It’s not that hard to differentiate those 2

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i add new kalk twice a month , the container always has calcium carbonate buildup which doesn’t go back into solution easily .Compared to the calcium hydroxide which is about a thousand fold more soluble .maybe I am looking at it wrong?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i add new kalk twice a month , the container always has calcium carbonate buildup which doesn’t go back into solution easily .Compared to the calcium hydroxide which is about a thousand fold more soluble .maybe I am looking at it wrong?

Nothing wrong with that. I let calcium carbonate mud accumulate inches deep on the bottom of my kalkwasser reservoir over many years.

But that also makes it impossible (for me at least) to know how much reusable calcium hydroxide is also present, except by stirring it up and seeing if I can hit my conductivity target. :)

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Avast K1, dosing about 3L per day through the Stirrer. I clean the canister every 2 months or so since it doesn't matter how much Kalkwasser I added, the pH would not stay above 12.0 for long.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Avast K1, dosing about 3L per day through the Stirrer. I clean the canister every 2 months or so since it doesn't matter how much Kalkwasser I added, the pH would not stay above 12.0 for long.
Was the PH in your tank reacting as of it was fully saturated? I’m starting to get the impression that a Ph probe isn’t too accurate sitting in kalk vessels. Wonder if the probe reading was declining, but the water was in correct range. I know when I was using settled clear water, my probe reading would start to drift, but my tank readings and dosing amounts were consistent (seemingly anyways)

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the PH in your tank reacting as of it was fully saturated? I’m starting to get the impression that a Ph probe isn’t too accurate sitting in kalk vessels. Wonder if the probe reading was declining, but the water was in correct range. I know when I was using settled clear water, my probe reading would start to drift, but my tank readings and dosing amounts were consistent (seemingly anyways)
No, I don't see any fluctuation of my tank's pH. I don't think it is issue with the probe sitting in the Kalkwasser. The pH would go right back to 12.4 as soon as I clean the vessel and load new Kalkwasser. I also calibrate the pH occasionally and it hasn't been out at all.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't see any fluctuation of my tank's pH. I don't think it is issue with the probe sitting in the Kalkwasser. The pH would go right back to 12.4 as soon as I clean the vessel and load new Kalkwasser. I also calibrate the pH occasionally and it hasn't been out at all.
I’m looking into adding the K1, which is why I’m asking. What Kalk do you use? They have a couple good charts that shows PH decline over their 14 and 30 day recommended amounts of kalk to add.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into adding the K1, which is why I’m asking. What Kalk do you use? They have a couple good charts that shows PH decline over their 14 and 30 day recommended amounts of kalk to add.
I use both BRS and ESV Kalkwasser (depending on availability). To be honest, I can't tell which one is "better". My consumption seems stable so I estimate the amount of Kalkwasser (in conjunction with pH probe) to pro-actively change/add Kalkwasser.
The Avast Stirrer is a great unit! The only thing wish they change are the paddle design (Kalkwasser would built up on top of the blades) and the speed of the motor (a bit too slow) so I am going to switch to a higher RPM motor when the original motor died.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from space constraints, why does anyone use a Nilsen reactor over a reservoir?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back