Kalk stirrer potency

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from space constraints, why does anyone use a Nilsen reactor over a reservoir?
I think you answered it yourself. I don't think what people are siting as reservoirs being a better solution is inherent that nilson reactors are flawed. I think that the approach in which we use a nilson reactor had been ingrained to force us to think that way. It also doesn't help that people watch videos and take what was said as truth.

I've been using a nilson (kalk) reactor without any of the negatives that are said to be true from the popular talking heads on social media. I've concluded that the only difference is preference. Do you want to use a reactor or a reservoir? It comes down to preference. They both require different maintenance routines, and which one fits your needs is the one best for you.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose aesthetics could be a motivating factor.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both BRS and ESV Kalkwasser (depending on availability). To be honest, I can't tell which one is "better". My consumption seems stable so I estimate the amount of Kalkwasser (in conjunction with pH probe) to pro-actively change/add Kalkwasser.
The Avast Stirrer is a great unit! The only thing wish they change are the paddle design (Kalkwasser would built up on top of the blades) and the speed of the motor (a bit too slow) so I am going to switch to a higher RPM motor when the original motor died.
Unless it’s outdated, Avast did not recommend using the BRS kalk, citing it is has a higher density- but that’s outta my pay grade. The ESV tested very well with PH, almost as well as the Mississippi Lime they sell. But, they sell the ML, and don’t know if it’s results driven or profit driven info they advertise.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it’s outdated, Avast did not recommend using the BRS kalk, citing it is has a higher density- but that’s outta my pay grade. The ESV tested very well with PH, almost as well as the Mississippi Lime they sell. But, they sell the ML, and don’t know if it’s results driven or profit driven info they advertise.
Interesting. I did not know Avast doesn't recommend BRS or other brands Kalkwasser. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between difference brands I have tried.
I will get some AVAST ML and see if it makes any difference.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I did not know Avast doesn't recommend BRS or other brands Kalkwasser. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between difference brands I have tried.
I will get some AVAST ML and see if it makes any difference.
Avast told me the yellow line is ESV, which tracks fairly close to the ML.
IMG_4202.png IMG_4205.jpeg IMG_4206.jpeg

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BAMat, thank you for the information. I have both BRS and ESV Kalkwasser so will see if I could do some experiments and replicate the results.
Let me know how it goes. I’m going to continue to burn the ESV I have but if the ML does in fact hold its potency as Avast suggests, I’d be inclined to switch. From the charts, it looks like the best way to go about it with the ESV would be use the 30 day supply from the Kalkulator, and replace/refill on day 20. Now I just gotta figure out if I want to tinker with the DIY K1 kit or buy it assembled.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how it goes. I’m going to continue to burn the ESV I have but if the ML does in fact hold its potency as Avast suggests, I’d be inclined to switch. From the charts, it looks like the best way to go about it with the ESV would be use the 30 day supply from the Kalkulator, and replace/refill on day 20. Now I just gotta figure out if I want to tinker with the DIY K1 kit or buy it assembled.
I just ordered some sample ML from Avast to try. Will keep you posted for sure.
I build things for a living so DIY wad super easy for me. I don't think it took more than couple hours total. I would get the fully assembled one if you have doubt about putting it together (after watching their instructional videos).

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you are pulling RO into your stirrer from a clean storage tank, could you set up a wooden bubbler to off gas any co2 prior to it entering the stirrer to help with potentcy? Is there a good CO2 water monitor?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are pulling RO into your stirrer from a clean storage tank, could you set up a wooden bubbler to off gas any co2 prior to it entering the stirrer to help with potentcy? Is there a good CO2 water monitor?

A bubbler is likely to drive CO2 into RO/DI, not remove it. The product water from an RO/DI will be stripped of CO2 (by the DI), but then it comes back from the air.

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that the brs pharma kalk will form into a very thick paste at the bottom of the avast reactors and break off the stir device from the motor. Happened with a k1 and a k2 reactor on separate systems. I emailed brs about it and they credited my account; I’m assuming they are aware of the issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that the brs pharma kalk will form into a very thick paste at the bottom of the avast reactors and break off the stir device from the motor. Happened with a k1 and a k2 reactor on separate systems. I emailed brs about it and they credited my account; I’m assuming they are aware of the issue.

Not sure whose issue that would be.I’d blame the stirrer company, assuming the material was actually calcium hydroxide, unless BRS told you it was suitable for that device.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure whose issue that would be.I’d blame the stirrer company, assuming the material was actually calcium hydroxide, unless BRS told you it was suitable for that device.
Avast Marine posts on their website that they do not recommend using the BRS pharma kalkwasser. Don’t know if the reasoning is legit, but just sharing.

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpeg
    IMG_4273.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 24

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast Marine posts on their website that they do not recommend using the BRS pharma kalkwasser. Don’t know if the reasoning is legit, but just sharing.

It certainly seems appropriate to post if their device cannot handle certain particle sizes.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back