Kalk stirrer with ato adjustment?

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically I want to use an icecap magnetic bar kalk stirrer with my ato so I don't have to use a dosing pump and an ato.

I'm wondering if instead of changing the volume of fully concentrated kalk solution dosed to the tank via dosing pump can I adjust the frequency of stirring so that a larger volume of water is added at a lower concentration of kalk?

Seems like everyone says it won't work, but I don't understand why it can't work.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not be understanding what you are asking, but stirring doesn't add kalk to your tank. You still have to pump fresh water through the reactor. Smaller more frequent top offs are better so your salinity doesn't swing as much.

Theoretically you could separate your kalk from your ato and pump a larger amount of less saturated solution on a timer, but I'd be very hesitant because of the possibility of a pH spike. Plus you'd be in the situation with your salinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said it can't work. It may work fine.

I assume that you know that you need less than saturated limewater?

FWIW, many reactors already deliver less than saturated limewater, despite the owners thinking it is saturated.

One possible issue is that the stir bar may become impacted in solid mud if it sits too long.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So basically I want to use an icecap magnetic bar kalk stirrer with my ato so I don't have to use a dosing pump and an ato.

I'm wondering if instead of changing the volume of fully concentrated kalk solution dosed to the tank via dosing pump can I adjust the frequency of stirring so that a larger volume of water is added at a lower concentration of kalk?

Seems like everyone says it won't work, but I don't understand why it can't work.

I am not sure what you are saying either.

The problem with stirring more is the Kalk needs to settle out. The water can only get to a certain level and that is it. You can stir all you want but that is it.

Never add kalk directly to the tank water, you are adding the clear water above it. You never want to add the slurry.

Personally I do not add water to the reactor with ATO. Evaporation rates are way to inconsistent. I use either a dosing pump or a pump on a timer.

Kalk is a great tool but you have to know what you are doing because it can be dangerous . I have seen more people nuke a tank with Kalk than any other thing other than failed ATO's.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what you are saying either.

The problem with stirring more is the Kalk needs to settle out. The water can only get to a certain level and that is it. You can stir all you want but that is it.

Never add kalk directly to the tank water, you are adding the clear water above it. You never want to add the slurry.

Personally I do not add water to the reactor with ATO. Evaporation rates are way to inconsistent. I use either a dosing pump or a pump on a timer.

Kalk is a great tool but you have to know what you are doing because it can be dangerous . I have seen more people nuke a tank with Kalk than any other thing other than failed ATO's.

My understanding is that he wants to stir less (not more) to deliver less than saturated kalkwasser, assuming he needs that. :)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be very hard to get consistent kalk dosing.

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that he wants to stir less (not more) to deliver less than saturated kalkwasser, assuming he needs that. :)
Yes I'm questioning whether you could reduce the amount of times that you stir daily to control the concentration of kalk solution.
Say I stir once a day and check if my dkh is maintaining, if not, stir two times a day and so on.
I guess the consensus is that it's not going to be consistant.

I'm just trying to eliminate a timer and a doser.
I'm currently dripping about a gallon of fully saturated kalk with about a tablespoon of vinegar overnight and it's maintaining pretty well.

I also used kalkwasser for years with an ato, but with a reservoir not a stirrer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm questioning whether you could reduce the amount of times that you stir daily to control the concentration of kalk solution.
Say I stir once a day and check if my dkh is maintaining, if not, stir two times a day and so on.
I guess the consensus is that it's not going to be consistant.

I'm just trying to eliminate a timer and a doser.
I'm currently dripping about a gallon of fully saturated kalk with about a tablespoon of vinegar overnight and it's maintaining pretty well.

I also used kalkwasser for years with an ato, but with a reservoir not a stirrer.

What size tank?

It may not need to be consistent hour to hour, depending on your demand. It will be as consistent day to day as dosing concentrated limewater.

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350 gallons total system volume sps only tank with about 30 frags/ mini colonies at the moment

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350 gallons total system volume sps only tank with about 30 frags/ mini colonies at the moment

The amount you are adding, even at full saturation, is quite low. Les than 0.4 dKh per day.

So in that sense, hourly stability is not a concern and this should work fine as long as the stirrer can start back up when needed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back