Kalk usage.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to set up a kalk doser. My though it have a 5 gallon bucket with a pump to keep the kalk stirring at the bottom and use an ATO to refill my sump as needed during the night. So i would have an aqualifter pump tube at about the 2.5 gallon mark of the bucket, then the intake for the stir pump at around the 2 gallon mark so it doesnt suck up the kalk powder. Then I would just top off the 5 gallon bucket at neccessary with RO water and new kalk power. Now does kalk only disolve so much into the water. That way all I have to do is occationally add water and new kalk powder when it gets low? A reactor is probably out of the question, but a 2 little fishies stirrer may be a possibility also, but there again Im not really sure how that works either.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it will work. Yes only so much powder will disolve, you can just add fresh water to your bucket as needed. Also kw is hard on pumps so plan on cleaning it ever couple of months.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to aerate it as co2 from the room will combine and form ca carbonate, best to keep container as closed as possible.

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i planned on getting a 5 gallon bucket from lowes that would seal tightly, then plum and external pump of some kind so it would pull water from around the 2 gallon or 1.5 mark of the bucket and then pump it in the bottom where the kalk would be. that way it wouldnt be sucking up kalk powder but the intake would be high enough that it wouldnt run dry. my tank evaps about 3 gallons a weeks so thats where i got my numbers from. i figure 5 would be good then because it would be plenty enough more water that it would give me some breathing room when topping off.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%

Back