Kalk with DKH rise vs PH

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a basement tank and struggle with PH. At Night I have hit lows of 7.71. I typically hit 7.8 to 8.02 during the day
I have done the typical things to raise PH
Outside Air to the Skimmer
CO2 scrubber
Kalkawasser
Verified that there are no deaths in the tank

I have been dosing Kalk, between 1600 and 1800ml over 24 hours to help with PH. I have recently bumped that up to 2200ml.
Problem is my DKH will rise which is expected but is there a point with running more kalk that the DKH and PH will balance out? I know that PH uses DKH but
I would prefer to keep my dkh under 9. Granted DHK in the 9's isn't going to hurt anything, but it may be a better alternative to low PH.

Current dkh is 9.1- 9.3
Calcium is around 430
Mag is 1340

Tank is hitting 8 months. Still young but maturing nicely.

Any advice is appreciated

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to add enough kalk to maintain alkalinity. If you add more to increase pH, the tank alkalinity will increase. If your tank is doing well, I wouldn’t worry too much about pH.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to add enough kalk to maintain alkalinity. If you add more to increase pH, the tank alkalinity will increase. If your tank is doing well, I wouldn’t worry too much about pH.
honestly..i am of the opposite opinion. I have found that stable alk is secondary to PH. Ph has been my nemisis. I have finally gotten my PH above 8 and my tank has finally stabilized

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing Kalk, between 1600 and 1800ml over 24 hours to help with PH. I have recently bumped that up to 2200ml.
Problem is my DKH will rise which is expected but is there a point with running more kalk that the DKH and PH will balance out? I know that PH uses DKH but
I would prefer to keep my dkh under 9. Granted DHK in the 9's isn't going to hurt anything, but it may be a better alternative to low PH.

No, the pH boosting effect of hydroxide is limited by the alkalinity, and dosing more ends up in higher alkalinity than you want.

Eventually, with too excessive of dosing, precipitation of calcium carbonate becomes problematic.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I only post this link because I started it and learned a lot from it. There are way better threads out there.

Start there and read anything @Randy Holmes-Farley writes on alk & PH....You can't go wrong with Randy's advice.
I have watched several Videos from ACI. They are more about high PH over DKH. My Tank is doing just fine but high 7's for PH in my opinion will be an issue over time. I have read many articles of conflicting positions. I have seen videos of spectacular tanks that focus on PH and tanks that focus on stable DKH just as beautiful.

Last edited:

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched several Videos from ACI. They are more about high PH over DKH. My Tank is doing just fine but high 7's for PH in my opinion will be an issue over time. I have read many articles of conflicting positions. I have seen videos of spectacular tanks that focus on PH and tanks that focus on stable DKH just as beautiful.
I learned more from the forum members replies, not the videos. I'd read through that thread, not concetrate on the video.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m def following bc I’m moving my tanks to a basement with no window.

can I ask if you are concerned bc your pH value just happpens to be low or bc your coral look not so good? I ask bc your dkH seems rather stable and so wondering if you are actually noticing a negative effect of low pH or just trying to improve conditions…
Also, can I ask what you use to measure pH and have you recalibrated bc this was my issue with low pH reading.
Thanks!

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m def following bc I’m moving my tanks to a basement with no window.

can I ask if you are concerned bc your pH value just happpens to be low or bc your coral look not so good? I ask bc your dkH seems rather stable and so wondering if you are actually noticing a negative effect of low pH or just trying to improve conditions…
Also, can I ask what you use to measure pH and have you recalibrated bc this was my issue with low pH reading.
Thanks!
Corals are looking good so everything is fine at the eye test level. As far as PH measurements, I use my Apex, My Alkatronic reads PH and I also use a Hanna hand held. All recently calibrated. I have researched a ton and the consensus is that a higher PH is better for the environment. We all have a ton of money invested so I am making sure I am setting it up for success. I do believe the eye test is key but why not try to improve

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back