Kalkwasser creating foam?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question.

I am dosing Kalkwasser (Brightwell aquatics Kalk + 2). Originally, I was dosing in my return chamber and I have been noticing foam along the edges of my tank. Because of the Kalk interferance with my ATO optical sensor, I moved my Kalk dosing to my refugium and now I am getting foam in the refugium as well. I am not sure if this is a Kalk issue or if I have something else that is causing some sort of foam to take place. The foam IS concentrated right where my Kalk dosing takes place so it is hard not to make the connection. Thoughts?

foam.jpg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question.

I am dosing Kalkwasser (Brightwell aquatics Kalk + 2). Originally, I was dosing in my return chamber and I have been noticing foam along the edges of my tank. Because of the Kalk interferance with my ATO optical sensor, I moved my Kalk dosing to my refugium and now I am getting foam in the refugium as well. I am not sure if this is a Kalk issue or if I have something else that is causing some sort of foam to take place. The foam IS concentrated right where my Kalk dosing takes place so it is hard not to make the connection. Thoughts?

foam.jpg
To me, the presence of foam suggest there’s not enough flow at that point, however, it is odd.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point your tube toward the wall of the sump, near about the water line. You need less turbulence when the ato water goes into the return chamber.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limewater (kalkwasser) and turbulence does not typically lead to foam problems.

I dosed right into this boiling cauldron and didn't get any more foam then when not dosing it:

Figure 4. When limewater drips onto surfaces, such as the sides of a sump, precipitation of calcium carbonate takes place. The off-white coloration probably comes from metals such as iron binding to the calcium carbonate surface in the place of calcium.

1637592080796.png

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the responses.

I am wondering if the foam is some residual chemi clean in the water?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me id stop dosing brightwells kalk +2. Ime Brightwell products are trash and poorly made and their instructions are written to conufse while also having typos they dont care to change. Their "pure" potassium (potassion-p) has pink colors and specks of black in it. That isnt pure by far. Who knows what their +2 means.. and they state to raise it ridiculously slowly like 2ppm a day. That isnt because animals wont tolerate a larger jump, its probably becaise their impurities would harm. For example, what would you think if a bucket of salt had a pink hue to it from potassium? Have you ever seen a salt with pink? Not me!

Back