Kalkwasser dosing with non-continuous pump

lamjiasheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like to know more about reef chemistry before getting corals

Kamoer continuous doser is 2x the price of Jebao doser (up to x24 times dosing per day) at my country

Came across this post where dosing of 0.25% of aquarium water of Kalkwasser at once is “likely” doable. (0.25 galloon of Kalk in 100galloon tank)

Example scenario:
- 100litre tank
- 1 litre of Kalk dosing per day (Just an example value)
- Jebao doser (x24 times of dosing a day)

1000ml/24 = 41.7ml at once for 24 times per day
That’s 0.04% of aquarium water of Kalk.
From “likely” doable 0.25% to 0.04%.
Overall is this doable if it’s dose at the wave maker where it can best mixed well ?

Additional Question:
1. Is any food grade calcium hydroxide doable. (No access to mrs waggle pickling lime)

2. How should I mix this no brand, bulk purchase food grade Calcium hydroxide

Post where it mentioned about doable 0.25% dosing

8E6142AC-8BDE-4563-8F75-B49151F251AD.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted that, so I agree with it. :)

Any food grade is fine. It can be dissolved in RO/DI at a max level of about 2 level teaspoons per gallon of fresh water.

OP
OP
L

lamjiasheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted that, so I agree with it. :)

Any food grade is fine. It can be dissolved in RO/DI at a max level of about 2 level teaspoons per gallon of fresh water.
Great post indeed.

Since there is a max dissolving capacity, mixing more than 2 teaspoon at its maximum dissolving capacity is also doable right ? Just to make sure not to dose the undissolved bottom part.

additional question:
Should I raise pH with Kalk follow by TM AFR for trace element or vice versa?

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is what I’m doing. 10-20ml per hour with a WiFi jebao doser. I would use the BRS 1.1ml per minute doser but I don’t think they’re meant to be ran 24/7.

David Gaskins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll toss in what I do as an example. Certainly not 100% empirical but results are certainly my "proofs in the pudding" view.

Red Sea Reefer 750XXL. SPS heavy/mixed load depending on opinions. 5 years old. Salinity 1.025 , ALK 9.8, CA 430, MG 1380 (All Hanna tests)

Initial tank conditions:

I was able to determine that thru the past few year's that I was going thru 6L-7L (1.71712-1.8492 G) daily thru evaporation. I had been doing 2-part dosing with basic ALK and CA daily dosing regimens thru ATI Pro Essentials (130ML daily). I was also looking at a solution to raise a lower PH level (7.8-8.0 Apex/Milwaukee)) tank level.

Early on I was really happy with results but honestly this got to be expensive and I was looking for another option. Looking back at my early tank years I recalled how KALK dosing was my go-to thru adding to ATO and tank always seemed to be on cruise control.

Decided on the use of KALK again, this time with a dedicated container (25 G) for KALK along with an automated dosing pump/regimen (VERSA dosing pump/Mobius). After some experimentation, I was able to come up with a dosing regimen of 5L daily (continuous) of KALK at the mixed 2 tsp/gallon mixture. At this mixture, I was still not able to cover the daily ALK/CA needs (verified thru Hanna checker), but did allow for a steady rise in daily PH to 8.1-8.32 (Apex/Milwaukee).

To allow for a steady ALK/CA measurement, I initially continued to dose daily with ATI Pro Essentials, but after a good talk with Lou Ekus, I made the change to the powered version of Tropic Marin All-For-Reef. I mix this up with RO water 1800ml at a time, and add to dosing container which I dose 24 times a day (48ml daily). I still have an active ATO to make up for any additional evaporation needs.

Reef has been very happy with this change and SPS corals including Monti's, Acro's, Milli's, and Chalice's which have much improved growth, color, and a very healthy appearance. Growth has increased exponentially compared to the past few years and I have had to cull many of the colonies in order to maintain some distancing between against warfare.

Sincerely,

David

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 165 49.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 30 9.1%
Back