Kalkwasser help!

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tunze nano pumps water from a reservoir into a Geo kalk reactor and then the water is forced up to my 20 gal JBJ. The total water volume is about 14 gal and so it's susceptible to big swings unfortunately. It's in a basement that is comfortable but I suspect has a lot of CO2 build up. Here is a chart from my Apex this week.
Each morning I have to dose two capfuls of alk which is the initial spike each day. (If I don't do this alk quickly drops to 6.5.) Then the kalk in the ATO and natural biological processes gradually increase the pH during the day. It stays pretty level during the day, then the lights go out and it starts diving. I'm aiming to keep it between 8.2 and 8.4. If I have an issue where the ATO doesn't run and then I fix it and it runs a lot, sometimes it will shoot up to 8.5. I even hit 8.6 one day. It hasn't wiped my tank out.

The only way I can even dream of keeping pH this elevated is because my skimmer is hooked up to a CO2 scrubber and recirculates the air from the foam coming up. As you can see, I had a major dip the last couple of days during the night. The pump quit working on the skimmer and that's what happens when the skimmer isn't running during the night. 7.8 ph by morning. I cleaned it and got it back up and running this morning which is the last peak on the right. The kalk gives it small bump ups during the night but the trend line will continue down fairly steep. I even run chaeto in the back on a reverse light schedule but I question if it's doing much at all with photosynthesis to help the pH drop during the night. It must not be enough.

pH chart.png

OP
OP
Mr.Guy83

Mr.Guy83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tunze nano pumps water from a reservoir into a Geo kalk reactor and then the water is forced up to my 20 gal JBJ. The total water volume is about 14 gal and so it's susceptible to big swings unfortunately. It's in a basement that is comfortable but I suspect has a lot of CO2 build up. Here is a chart from my Apex this week.
Each morning I have to dose two capfuls of alk which is the initial spike each day. (If I don't do this alk quickly drops to 6.5.) Then the kalk in the ATO and natural biological processes gradually increase the pH during the day. It stays pretty level during the day, then the lights go out and it starts diving. I'm aiming to keep it between 8.2 and 8.4. If I have an issue where the ATO doesn't run and then I fix it and it runs a lot, sometimes it will shoot up to 8.5. I even hit 8.6 one day. It hasn't wiped my tank out.

The only way I can even dream of keeping pH this elevated is because my skimmer is hooked up to a CO2 scrubber and recirculates the air from the foam coming up. As you can see, I had a major dip the last couple of days during the night. The pump quit working on the skimmer and that's what happens when the skimmer isn't running during the night. 7.8 ph by morning. I cleaned it and got it back up and running this morning which is the last peak on the right. The kalk gives it small bump ups during the night but the trend line will continue down fairly steep. I even run chaeto in the back on a reverse light schedule but I question if it's doing much at all with photosynthesis to help the pH drop during the night. It must not be enough.

pH chart.png
Apex are super helpful tools I guess I need to look into one

Sandra Finnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is the key. Your coral will adapt to which ever method you use as long as you’re not constantly changing it up. I’ve been dosing through my top off for 5 years and haven’t lost a pump. If you just keep your equipment clean you’ll be fine. Don’t get caught up in the exact parameters game. Dose whatever amount you’re going to do and test constantly for the first few weeks. Just as an example, I add 10 teaspoons of kalk to my ato for my 65 gallon. I don’t add or take away from that dose and over time my coral has grown to the point that I’m now using All for reef WITH the kalk. Just test your alkalinity and you’ll figure out where to go. Again, that’s how I use it. It’s the simplest way I’ve found.
47AFB231-5645-4AA9-9EFA-270B2CA19A02.jpeg

The five gallon jug you see on the lower right is my ato/kalk. Happy reefing!
I was just doing some checking on the use of Kalkwasser also and just wanted to tell you that I love your tank! Beautiful!

ostrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to drip via my topoff. Just a large Brute with RODI and a lb of kalk added monthly.

Kept pH steady and helped with levels first when dosing 2-part the with a CaRx.

I found with the CaRx, the kalk wasn't contributing much value. I had to swap my maxijet mixing pump annually, as they disintegrate over time in there. But that wasn't the main issue.

I found the buildup on my pumps - circulation, skimmer, etc, on heaters, on anything warm in the tank, was destructive over time.

I lacked time and patience for monthly muriatic baths on all equipment. Many tunzes were seized beyond repair.

Eventually stopped kalk altogether.

I've got a 5lb bucket almost full still. Sprinkle on the grass when heavy rains bring mushrooms!!!!

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder and I was dosing kalk through my 5 gallon bucket ATO with a tunze ATO. I would clean the bucket every time I needed to fill the ATO up. I was adding 3 teaspoons to 5 gallons of water and found that to be pretty good for me.

I have since found the Tunze Kalk Dispenser on MarineDepot.com I looked a few reviews and figured I would try it out because I did not like cleaning the bucket all the time and I wanted to extend the life of my ATO pump. I have had great success with it so far and its easy to use with the ATO. The dispenser literally mounts inside the bucket and I mix in 2 teaspoons with it since its smaller amount and probably more potent. I will test and see where it goes from there. the Tunze kalk dispenser is rated up to a 250 or 275 gallon tank I think if I am not mistaken.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back