Kalkwasser mixing help!

Chandlertank108

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, last night I mixed my first kalkwasser. After let it settle for 12 hours my kalkwasser water still look cloudy.
3A049706-5A27-41F9-8CCD-036C58FF3ADE.jpeg

is this normal and safe to add it with ATO?
thank you

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have (3) 5 gallon clear buckets I use for my ATO. When one runs empty then I mix up 5 gallons of kalk and move that bucket to the back of the line and put the next bucket in line with the ATO. With 3 sealed buckets this allows about 5-6 days to let everything settle before use. My kalk water is always crystal clear when ready for use.

Erik L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have (3) 5 gallon clear buckets I use for my ATO. When one runs empty then I mix up 5 gallons of kalk and move that bucket to the back of the line and put the next bucket in line with the ATO. With 3 sealed buckets this allows about 5-6 days to let everything settle before use. My kalk water is always crystal clear when ready for use.
I’m curious how large your tank is? Looks like your topping about a gallon a day?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious how large your tank is? Looks like your topping about a gallon a day?

150 gallon with a 40 gallon sump, 20 gallon fuge and 20 gallon frag tank. It's probably more like 2 gallons a day. I have to change the bucket every 2.5-3 days.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not clear from your picture whether you're mixing your kalkwasser and letting it settle in your ATO container, or what you've pictured is the settled kalkwasser that's been poured off from another mixing vessel.

If it's the former, I would strongly recommend that you not do this. The Tunze ATO pump will create fairly strong currents in your ATO container; certainly sufficient to stir up settled kalk powder. And that's even if you've elevated the pump off of the bottom. Pumping actual kalk powder into a tank is extraordinarily risky - many tanks have been wiped out this way.

Instead, stir your kalk up in RODI water in a separate 5 gallon bucket, let it settle, and pour this off into your ATO container.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back