Kalkwasser noob need guidance

eashton123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have tested my perameters Calc is 450 Alk is 9.06. I think im ready to start Kalk in my top off water. First question should I stop doseing Calc and Alk BRS two part and just use Kalk? My PH is a little low at 7.8 - 7.9. My corals dont use much Calc/Alk on a daily basis. I would like to get ph up to 8.1 and steady. I have a tunze auto top off. Should I start using Kalk top off water? If so how would you do it? Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that is a small amount and won't take much limewater to replace it completely. About 45 mL of saturated limewater per day would do it. You can make the top off as dilute as needed.

How much do you top off each day?

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

I am wanting to raise my PH at night and lower the amount of 2 part I am using. I currently dose 240 mils of ESV 2 part. I plan on putting on a doser, not on my top off. Depending on temperature and fans on sump I go through 5 to 10 gallons a day of top off water.

So my question would be if I wanted to drip Kalk to keep my PH over 8 at night what would be a good starting percentage of 2 part to replace and how much volume of saturated lime water?

My PH ranges from 7.8 to 8.2 at end of lights and this is with a CO2 scrubber, was running .2 less without.

Sorry for adding my questions to your thread, and Thank You Randy!

OP
OP
eashton123

eashton123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the coarse of a week I use about 2.5 - 3 gallons of water to top off. Small 40 gallon tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

I am wanting to raise my PH at night and lower the amount of 2 part I am using. I currently dose 240 mils of ESV 2 part. I plan on putting on a doser, not on my top off. Depending on temperature and fans on sump I go through 5 to 10 gallons a day of top off water.

So my question would be if I wanted to drip Kalk to keep my PH over 8 at night what would be a good starting percentage of 2 part to replace and how much volume of saturated lime water?

My PH ranges from 7.8 to 8.2 at end of lights and this is with a CO2 scrubber, was running .2 less without.

Sorry for adding my questions to your thread, and Thank You Randy!

I'd initially replace half of it and put 1 teaspoon calcium hydroxide per gallon of fresh water. Then raise that (or lower it) if need be based on the alkalinity in the aquarium. If the pH is still on the low side, replace all of it. ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the coarse of a week I use about 2.5 - 3 gallons of water to top off. Small 40 gallon tank.

So you can put just a tiny bit of calcium hydroxide into that top off. Maybe 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon calcium hydroxide per gallon of top off to start. Adjust based on tank alkalinity after a few days of dosing. :)

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy thank you for the response, if using a Nielsen Reactor and wanting to cut my dose from 240 each of part A and 240 Part B in half to 120, how many gallons of fully saturated lime water would I dose? I do not have an easily measured resovoir and already have a MRC reactor.

I was looking for a conversion chart, but could not find.

I am using ESV 2 part.

Thank you,

Scott

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always allowed all of my top off water to go through a kalk reactor. Ph stays a little on the high side of 8.3 - 8.4 but levels of Alk, Cal and Mag stay perfect with using Kalk+2. Of course Randy can give the chemical breakdown of how things work and how much is needed. Kalk is just so easy in my opinion. Easy and effective is the goal from my point of view.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy thank you for the response, if using a Nielsen Reactor and wanting to cut my dose from 240 each of part A and 240 Part B in half to 120, how many gallons of fully saturated lime water would I dose? I do not have an easily measured resovoir and already have a MRC reactor.

I was looking for a conversion chart, but could not find.

I am using ESV 2 part.

Thank you,

Scott

About 18 liters, but that's only an estimate because demand also varies with pH and may rise with the use of limewater. :)

OP
OP
eashton123

eashton123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can put just a tiny bit of calcium hydroxide into that top off. Maybe 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon calcium hydroxide per gallon of top off to start. Adjust based on tank alkalinity after a few days of dosing. :)
Thank you Randy.. On my way to raising my PH to proper levels!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great luck with all my Topoff being Kalk Wasser. During the summer heat, using evaporative cooling I can replace over 30gallons a day with Kalk. Corals seem happy and growth is good. Definitely something worth using for bigger demand systems.

Dave B

Back