kalkwasser vs kalkwasser

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i am planning to buy Kalk, not sure which one i should get? I know they both good brands, however which one does the job better? over time

RedSea Reefer 140 gallons - I got

Reef Octopus KS150 Kalk Stirrer vs Kalk Mixing Reactor 150 - Up to 200 Gallons - IceCap

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love kalk and personally use a DIY reactor.

For me the question is where are you going to put the reactor. Ice Cap can't be submerged.

And would you rather clean and maintain a magnetic stirir or a motor and shaft.

For me I believe it would be easier to fix the motor and shaft if it went bad but I have also never seen a magnetic stirir go bad while I have seen the motors with shafts die a few times.

I would go Ice Cap if external and RO if in the sump.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love kalk and personally use a DIY reactor.

For me the question is where are you going to put the reactor. Ice Cap can't be submerged.

And would you rather clean and maintain a magnetic stirir or a motor and shaft.

For me I believe it would be easier to fix the motor and shaft if it went bad but I have also never seen a magnetic stirir go bad while I have seen the motors with shafts die a few times.

I would go Ice Cap if external and RO if in the sump.
main as will get the - Kalk Mixing Reactor 200 - Up to 300 Gallons - IceCap

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the KS250. The thing is a beast. Very well made and operates as it should.

I would say it is made of slightly better (thicker) materials than the IceCap, but there are 2 trade-offs that may/may not matter to you.
a) That little ports to dump in fresh Kalk powder would seem nice to have. With the RO, you have to remove the whole lid and stir assembly.
b) Related, the stir shaft on the RO is a tad cumbersome when rinsing the unit.

Just little niggles.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the KS250. The thing is a beast. Very well made and operates as it should.

I would say it is made of slightly better (thicker) materials than the IceCap, but there are 2 trade-offs that may/may not matter to you.
a) That little ports to dump in fresh Kalk powder would seem nice to have. With the RO, you have to remove the whole lid and stir assembly.

Just little niggles.
Would you happen to know which one makes more noise?

Thank you

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just little niggles.
Getting the mixer would balance my ph going to hook that up on my neptune system.

Attachments

• 16258775155873694078293053628009.jpg
    16258775155873694078293053628009.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 39

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you
The Octo is dead silent for sure, but I doubt the IceCap makes much more noise honestly. Unlike a skimmer, I don't think noise is an issue in this decision.

The IceCap isn't built like the Octo but has some ease of use factors that I now appreciate after owning the Octo that I listed previously.

Can't go wrong either way.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just seeing your other post. Yes, I hooked this up to my APEX DOS as well. Bought another DOS yo do so. Would not do it without APEX to control as I am lazy and otherwise distracted.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Octo is dead silent for sure, but I doubt the IceCap makes much more noise honestly. Unlike a skimmer, I don't think noise is an issue in this decision.

The IceCap isn't built like the Octo but has some ease of use factors that I now appreciate after owning the Octo that I listed previously.

Can't go wrong either way.
Thank you for the feedback unfortunately tank is the bedroom that's why I asked, looking at the pictures I can tell Octo has bigger perpaler then IceCap I guess only think about Icecap is easy to fill the powder then Octo , they're out of stock on 150 Octo I missed the 4th of July sale, I need a get a dosing pump also I am thinking redsea dosing pumps, has 2 dosers.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you
I have the IceCap 150 and it is completely silent. There's just not much going on in that base - a tiny motor spinning a shaft with two magnets. And remember it only needs to run for 1 min every 4 hours or so. The magnetic stir bar comes with a couple of smooth flexible bands (teflon?) that keep the stir bar from actually touching the plastic. And the 1.5" cap pops right off to add kalk. Could not be much easier. Your dosing pump will be the issue as far as sound goes.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Avast Marine K1 stirrer. Bought the kit form which made it less costly. It is silent. I feed it RO from my ATO vat via a Litermeter III. Works well.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back