Kalkwasser what is the best way to dose?

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet, it is almost certainly incorrect, IMO.

That pH is low enough that rock and sand would be dissolving , and if simple aeration did not raise it, your home air would likely be getting close to the OSHA limit for CO2 in a workplace for an 8 hour work exposure (5,000 ppm).

If true, for your own sake, open a window!
Hey Randy et al.,

I'm in the same boat: 40 gallon tank with an apex running at pH from 7.6 (night) to 7.8 (day) using the Red Sea Blue Bucket salt. I recently used fluconazole (to kill bryopsis) and the tank is now hovering between pH 7.3 - 7.6... despite lots of water changes and activated carbon to remove the drug. I'm going to check the pH probe (using Red Sea test kits, and calibration fluids).

I'm currently dosing all-for-reef but weekly testing has revealed I don't really need it. I do ~15% weekly water changes (mixed reef with lots of sticks) but hoping to transition to water changes every 2 weeks. I'm thinking about dosing kalkwasser instead (using a single Kamoer pump) to maintain and perhaps raise the pH a bit.

What are your thoughts on this approach? Any real downsides dosing kalkwasser at a slow rate, using a reservoir that lasts a good 4-6 weeks or so? Do I need a special tubing for this? I'm thinking a saturated solution would be best to prolong the kalkwasser reservoir?

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was little effect on Ph, quickly irritating to maintain and cumbersome to install with elegance. My Ph stayed 7.9 mostly. Yes, alk shot up to 14 or 16 but that had no adverse effects on the corals. I'll see this time. I'm in the process of setting up a sterile tank for SPS dominant. It will be ready for a fish about 2 months so this is going to be a long process.

calanprc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood why people think stirrers are easier than still reservoirs. I dump some kalk into the Brute once a month when I fill it up, that's it. It never needs to be cleaned.
Hi,
What ratio of kalk to gallons of rodi water do you mix in the brute container? What size is your brute container? Thank you!! Your method seems like a good approach for me.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just throw a couple of cups into a 32g Brute. Only so much will dissolve, any surplus will settle on the bottom. If you don't want saturated kalkwasser more careful measurement will be required.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unstirred kalkwasser is perfect, if you make it correctly. Stirring does nothing useful if you make a reservoir of saturated limewater (kalkwasser) and dose from it after it has settled. I used that method for 20 years, and have shown it maintains potency as it sits waiting to be delivered.

Stirrers are only useful if you do not have space for a substantial reservoir.
I am having a hard time figuring out my top off amount. I have a small leak somewhere and sometimes it seems to be leaking very little then other times more. Maybe the leak is somehow getting clogged anyway. I am 63 year old non tech savy woman! lol. Hubby has no interest! I was trying to decide between this method and all for reef!

I also need the ph boost though so thats the only reason I am considering kalk! , It seems more complicated though. I am also very space limited especially on my kitchen 20 gallon aio. Can I mix small amounts and not have to mix to often. I could mix a big batch and store in garage then move to other tanks if thats possible.

My ph is around 7.9 to 8 when I check it. Are these ph booster products good? I heard they were bad for your tank. I don think I can hook up an airline in fl and also have my yard sprayed and my hubby wont be happy doing that for me! lol.

I just saw ice cap has a small co2 scrubber and looks' like it fits in chamber of aio. Very good review too! Would Afr with co2 scrubber probably be the way to go? I also worry about kalk over dosed and need something for redundancy to make sure that dosnt happen and ph moniters arent cheap! I dont have any fancy gear like apex or anything!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a hard time figuring out my top off amount. I have a small leak somewhere and sometimes it seems to be leaking very little then other times more. Maybe the leak is somehow getting clogged anyway.
Yikes. Hope you get that figured out.
I also need the ph boost though so thats the only reason I am considering kalk!
Keep in mind that you need to dose limewater (kalk) based on alkalinity your tank consumes, not pH.
I could mix a big batch and store in garage then move to other tanks if thats possible.
That should be fine, within reason.
My ph is around 7.9 to 8 when I check it. Are these ph booster products good? I heard they were bad for your tank.
That pH isn't concerning. Commercial chemicals sold as pH boosters just alkalinity additives, so you can raise alk too high if you aren't careful. The pH effects are also temporary.
I just saw ice cap has a small co2 scrubber and looks' like it fits in chamber of aio. Very good review too! Would Afr with co2 scrubber probably be the way to go? I also worry about kalk over dosed and need something for redundancy to make sure that dosnt happen and ph moniters arent cheap! I dont have any fancy gear like apex or anything!
CO2 scrubbers take CO2 out of the water, obviously, so that does raise the pH. You do have buy media for them. I don't know much about all for reef. Again, kalk and AFR should be used as an alk supplement. I wouldn't worry so much about pH. I know there are benefits to raising it.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What leads you to think there is a leak?

That is a kalkwasser leak or tank leak

What leads you to think there is a leak?

That is a kalkwasser leak or tank leak?
Actually I think hubby fixed it recently and its wet a little because I do stupid thing like not unplugging wavemaker yesterday doing WC and it sprayed a little. I guess Its just this time of year in Tampa. It humid as hell so water isnt evaporating much.

But I was speaking of tank or sump, not kalk.

Trying to decide between the two. I use brs two part now but need a change. I have been hand dosing and I just cant do it anymore. I was considering it and buying dosing pumps but thats costly too so for that money I could just hand dose ALF for a short while until I get a doser and possibly get a co2 scrubber for the raise in ph.

Not sure that kal would work in my situation with space ect and having to buy a ph monitor or some form of redundancy. Thats one of the reason I have been hand dosing is fear of a dosing pump getting stuck in on position and flooding tank with soda ash!

I probably should have bothered you. I was going to order the ALF but was doing a last minute check on Kalk.

I guess my biggest question is Ph buffers. Is that a possibility or to dangerous?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. Hope you get that figured out.

Keep in mind that you need to dose limewater (kalk) based on alkalinity your tank consumes, not pH.

That should be fine, within reason.

That pH isn't concerning. Commercial chemicals sold as pH boosters just alkalinity additives, so you can raise alk too high if you aren't careful. The pH effects are also temporary.

CO2 scrubbers take CO2 out of the water, obviously, so that does raise the pH. You do have buy media for them. I don't know much about all for reef. Again, kalk and AFR should be used as an alk supplement. I wouldn't worry so much about pH. I know there are benefits to raising it.
Thanks so much. I am to much of a worry wart for kalk I think. I realize it ups alk and calcium and thats what i am looking for is a new way to dose 2 part.

I have read a lot of great review about AFR and lots of people saying their corals exploded in growth (plus it has mag and essential elements all in one) so I think I am going to try that.

I can hand dose it for a while until I get a doser, so I am going to buy the liquid first to make sure I like it and if I do I will get the big powered container and a single head doser :)

Brs did a video comparing monthly costs of a bunch of 2 parts and the powered AFR came in almost the lowest @ 6 bucks and some change! Brs was the cheapest at 3 something! I will take the convivence factor for an xtra 3 bucks plus essential elements! Not to mention the money I will save on a 3 part dosing pump for both my tanks plus frag tank almost cycled!

I am going to do some research on the ph buffers. I did read there are some now that claim they dont raise alk.

Maybe Randy Holmes-Farley can chime in about them!

Thanks so much for answering my questions!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I think hubby fixed it recently and its wet a little because I do stupid thing like not unplugging wavemaker yesterday doing WC and it sprayed a little. I guess Its just this time of year in Tampa. It humid as hell so water isnt evaporating much.

But I was speaking of tank or sump, not kalk.

Trying to decide between the two. I use brs two part now but need a change. I have been hand dosing and I just cant do it anymore. I was considering it and buying dosing pumps but thats costly too so for that money I could just hand dose ALF for a short while until I get a doser and possibly get a co2 scrubber for the raise in ph.

Not sure that kal would work in my situation with space ect and having to buy a ph monitor or some form of redundancy. Thats one of the reason I have been hand dosing is fear of a dosing pump getting stuck in on position and flooding tank with soda ash!

I probably should have bothered you. I was going to order the ALF but was doing a last minute check on Kalk.

I guess my biggest question is Ph buffers. Is that a possibility or to dangerous?
Both kalkwasser and two parts are good choices. I’ve designed two part diy recipes (BRS uses one of them) and used kalkwasser for 20 years.

Buffers to boost pH are never a good choice unless you know you need alkalinity and nothing else.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t expect AFR to give any better results than other methods of doing the same things.’, (such as a two part and some trace elements). It is primarily chosen due to simplicity.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t expect AFR to give any better results than other methods of doing the same things.’, (such as a two part and some trace elements). It is primarily chosen due to simplicity.
Really? so many people have claimed that corals are exploding in growth since using it! I was mainly looking into for the simplicity factor then when I read all the reviews I was floored. I do biweekly 35 % wc and not even sure that I need the essential elements.

I am looking for fast growth as I have a bunch of small frags. Do you think my ph being 8 or less can be hindering growth and I would benefit in upping it?

Brightwell makes something called ph boost that claims not to raise alk but seems very complicated and caustic and also defeats the whole simplicity reason of wanting to use all for reef like adding another dosers! Plus not sure how any of these would react with AFR.

Unless I use them alone but sound likes they are basically just the same as dosing soda ash!I may just buy a co2 scrubber! Wish I could just try one out and see if I liked LOL

One thing I know is I use more alk than calcium so I hope I dont have a problem with that factor with ALF!

Thanks for your help! I am going to order ALF today. I think Kalk a maybe a little to complicated for a older lady like me LOL

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? so many people have claimed that corals are exploding in growth since using it! I was mainly looking into for the simplicity factor then when I read all the reviews I was floored. I do biweekly 35 % wc and not even sure that I need the essential elements.

I am looking for fast growth as I have a bunch of small frags. Do you think my ph being 8 or less can be hindering growth and I would benefit in upping it?

Brightwell makes something called ph boost that claims not to raise alk but seems very complicated and caustic and also defeats the whole simplicity reason of wanting to use all for reef like adding another dosers! Plus not sure how any of these would react with AFR.

Unless I use them alone but sound likes they are basically just the same as dosing soda ash!I may just buy a co2 scrubber! Wish I could just try one out and see if I liked LOL

One thing I know is I use more alk than calcium so I hope I dont have a problem with that factor with ALF!

Thanks for your help! I am going to order ALF today. I think Kalk a maybe a little to complicated for a older lady like me LOL

They are likely comparing it to not dosing the things in AFR in other ways.

AFR is a fine way to go, but it would not be my pick of the best method, and I’m certain I have read as many reef chemistry posts as anyone else.

All methods have pros and cons. The big pro for AFR is convenience. The cons include cost, inability to adjust the components independently of alkalinity need,and lack of any pH boost.

Juano908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried AFR in my nano tank and definitely not for my tank, I was never able to keep Alk stable with the AFR, using Kalkwasser now and definitely a big change for good.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 45.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back