Kalkwasser what is the best way to dose?

BRS

nereefpat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
does that mean the bigger the reservoir the better, no matter the size of total system water vol?
If you're not using a stirrer, then a bigger reservoir means that you have to mix up your solution of kalk less often. Does that help?

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Galactic Coral Live Sale

thatmanMIKEson

View Badges
Reaction score
It is not. A reservoir is easier to unsure saturation just by adding enough. A stirrer may not saturate the water, and if I was using one, I'd certainly measure the potency. Many folks are surprised when they do measure it to find it is not saturated.

A reservoir in a Brute trash can with a closed lid stays saturated for weeks.

If you're not using a stirrer, then a bigger reservoir means that you have to mix up your solution of kalk less often. Does that help?

Edit: grammar
Yes, I thought I heard somewhere for drip not to make more than a days evap worth, I don't like the ato method (my evap swings to much) and then I guess with a doser having a large supply, but then again do you really put kalk on a doser..? So seems to me kalk stirrer or for small tanks any kalk and bigger tanks need 2 part with a little help from kalk

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
All good you did bring up a good point. Just because my apex says my PH is xx it does not mean it is 100% accurate. I never Thought to second guess my gear which can hurt me in the long run.

Apex is good for a lot of things but their probes are only slightly better than useless. The salinity probes are never accurate, the PH probes go bad quite quickly. I calibrated them every 2 weeks and did not realise how bad it was until I used another PH kit to measure PH. Apex PH probe was atleast 0.3 off in my case.

nereefpat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, I thought I heard somewhere for drip not to make more than a days evap worth
Hmm. That could be for safety reasons, in case the whole thing empties into your display. With a dosing system instead of a gravity drip, this isn't a concern.

I don't like the ato method (my evap swings to much)
I agree, dosing is better than ATO
but then again do you really put kalk on a doser..? So seems to me kalk stirrer or for small tanks any kalk and bigger tanks need 2 part with a little help from kalk
I think a doser is the *best way. I just use a really small pump on a light timer the runs for a couple minutes every couple hours. I mix up a 6 gallon bucket of kalk about once a week.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, I thought I heard somewhere for drip not to make more than a days evap worth, I don't like the ato method (my evap swings to much) and then I guess with a doser having a large supply, but then again do you really put kalk on a doser..? So seems to me kalk stirrer or for small tanks any kalk and bigger tanks need 2 part with a little help from kalk

I run my stirrer on a doser because my evaporation swings to much.
Overdosing Kalk can be very bad.

RAP Orlando
BRS

HOW MUCH DO YOU LIKE ZOANTHIDS?

• LOVE them

Votes: 364 44.4%
  • Like them

Votes: 224 27.4%
  • They're "ok"

Votes: 152 18.6%
  • Don't like them

Votes: 45 5.5%
  • Hate them

Votes: 24 2.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.2%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!