Kalkwasser

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how many here use it? and if you do use it, how do you use it? Do you have an auto top off system?

Up to this point, I've only used the turbo calcium, buffer, etc. I'd like to start using Kalk in my top off water but I've heard mixed things.
Can you tell me if you use it and if so how?

I've was told not to use it unless I have an auto-top-off system which I don't. Was told it can cause huge PH spikes, outbreaks of cyano, etc.
Any advice?
Thanks~

str8salt

OG SALT CREEP!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read and heard about your tank, Kalk would work great. I would use it for all of your top off water. I just switched to a calcium reactor but I had two 5 gallon Kent aquadoser tanks that were fed by dual aquamedic reef doser. Worked great. It is ideally suited for a light to medium sps tank on the top side down to a mixed lps tank. You shouldnt have any cyano problems caused by the Kalk. If you use a dosing pump that doses consistently and constantly you shouldn,t see any ph swing problems either. Coral growth will be great and coraline seem to love Kalk. Dennis runs kalk as well. If you decide to go wtih Kalk holler and I will give you a hand setting up the dosing pumps and stuff. If your interested I have that setup that I was going to post for sale. I was going to offer it to Dennis first but would put you on second if you were interested. happy reefing

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tim! Might just take you up on that offer. Not a lot of room under my new tank though. I am interested if Dennis isn't.

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk as well, but I am looking at going with a calcium reactor because I cannot maintain my levels with kalk only slow them down. Calcium stays pretty constant but my alk will drop 4dkh in a week. The other problem I am having is I drip a gallon and a half a day every day in my 55g to try and maintain my calcium and alk, which is too much for my system and it precipitates out my magnesium at a rate faster than I can replace it with water changes.

On the plus side I have seen phenominal growth in all of my corals since starting a regular kalk drip, and coraline has become as prolific on my glass as green algae, I get 1/4" diameter disks of coraline all over my glass every week that I have to scrape off.

Put me on the list for your dosing system too Tim, if Dennis and Terry don't take it I am interested too.

str8salt

OG SALT CREEP!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This unit has some drawbacks. The main one being that it is not recirculating. You will burn through alot more co2 with this unit. Calcium reactors also take up room. you have the reactor, regulator, pump,monitor and controller and co2 bottle. Terry, your best bet would be Kalk given your tank needs. You should be able to keep up with your setup with no problem. Its less dangerous and cheaper than the calcium reactor. Chances of overdosing and smoking your tank are a lot less with Kalk. I have a large sps load and I was holding flat with 1.5 gallons a day. I probably would have needed more when they got to full colonies but that was a way off and I would just have increased evaporation to allow for more top off. Dennis has to supplement some but his rate of evaporation wasn,t as high as mine and you have seen the colonies in his tank(big and beautiful). John has had issues with magnesium but I haven't and I don't think Dennis has. the other thing is Kalk is cheap. I bought enough for years. I think I have 24 containers and paid about 25 dollars for it. I will call Dennis and see if he is interested and let you guys know. happy reefing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back