Kamoer F4 dosing pump - unboxing and initial impressions

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this dosing pump a few days ago. It's almost $200 (Canadian) cheaper then the X4 which seems to be getting good reviews. While there are a few features missing, I can't say any of them would be of significant use to me. Kamoer have a pretty good reputation and I did have an earlier model pump from them that I ended up breaking, but prior to my own user error I had good success with it.

I'm not sure why no one is using this pump or at least talking about it. In addition to little forum talk about it there aren't any youtube videos about it, and these days everyone is unboxing everything. For those that don't want to read any further here is my first unboxing video.

First impressions out of the box :
Wow it's small just over 7" long, feels heavy and well built. There are no buttons on it other than a reset button on the back. It did not include any check valves so I'm not sure if I need them or not. I've been trying without since the only ones I have are old but I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt to run them but after a couple of days of dosing everything seems fine without them.

They include a nice looking mounting bracket for the lines. This actually includes 5 spots not just 4, as the pump has 4 dosing heads. This is nice for me as I do have a couple of brs dosing pumps and I could hook a 5th one up for a less critical item.

The app - you 100% control the dosing pump from the app. Very easy to setup. I have read some reports that with the x4 (it's the same app) some of it's still in Chinese. This doesn't appear to be the case anymore. The app is all in english and laid out as simple as can be. One nice feature is that it will automatically split up dosing elements. ie if you dose both calcium and alkalinity 6 times a day they will dose 10 minutes apart. You can program this up to 55 minutes apart if you are not manually entering in your dosing times. If you do that you can dose whenever you want up to 24 times a day. Every other day and every 3 days are also an option which is great for things like acropower which I don't dose daily.

Calibration was off out of the box but after 1 try I got it within .2ml and a second try all 4 pumps were bang on. It's only been running for a couple of days so I will have to check this a few more times before a final word, but it takes 10-15 seconds to calibrate and so far they are working perfectly. It's just as easy to manually dose as little as 1ml at a time.

Price : $299 cnd I would consider this medium range, but realistically buying 4 brs dosing pumps would be of comparable cost and you'd need timers or outlets on a controller. It's slightly more then the coralbox wifi dosing pump which is similar. Coralbox seem to be related or possible the same company as jebao which have a non wifi dosing pump most are familiar with for about 1/3rd the price. Kamoer only make dosing pumps, primarily for medical use so this makes me trust them more. If a medical dosing pump is out a lot worse is going to happen then burnt tips or a tank crash.
Comparable price to bubble magnus 3 pump doser. I am using all 4 pumps so this wouldn't have worked for me + it states a range of error of 5%. That seems pretty high. I'm not saying this pump is perfect but all my tests after calibration were bang on.

Wifi control is great. Let me say I thought this was a good idea for a dosing pump, but now that I have it, I think its a GREAT idea. My lights actually just run on simple timers and I don't play around with them. There is no need. Dosing you have to play around with from time to time. Even if I never add corals again what I have will grow and require more trace elements in the future. Even a tank crash would mean less. Using a phone or tablet to do this is much better then reaching under the stand. This is also how I damaged my previous dosing pump by knocking it off it's shelf. This one I have on a small 2x4 block and will be attaching command strips to it so it's fixed on the shelf. When I need to remove it I can just unscrew the little 2x4 shelf I made. The reset button is still accessible.

From what I can tell the differences between the X4 and the F4 are : The X4 comes in a waterproof housing. That is great but again if you fix the F4 somewhere you should have no reason to ever move it unless you are replacing the tubing or pump heads. This will not need to be done frequently. The F4 has controls and a screen on the pump as well, but why would anyone want to bend down under their tank, or whenever they have the pump mounted to adjust when you can do so from a phone or tablet. The other thing the F4 has is it's compatible with the kamoer containers. I don't have these but from what I understand they have sensors that will tell you when your liquids are out as well as temperature sensors. To be fair I don't know what the temp sensors would be used for. With the F4 you can still manually enter in how much liquid is in each container and it will tell you how much you have left as a percentage, and how many days dosing remain. This should be good enough for almost any application you just have to know how much is in each container.

The only things I don't like are it doesn't include check valves, kamoer don't use standard airline the tubing is smaller then airline. While it's not crazy expensive they barely give enough line to use all 4 pumps and you may need to purchase additional line for 10-12$. Not expensive but you can't necessarily walk into any store and get this at any time. Overall I'm very happy with it. Since there is so little info on this pump I tried to make this as in depth as possible without dragging it out too much.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good review! Very thorough! Thanks for sharing this info. Hopefully others will chime in with their experience too!

Blaine C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the review, lots of helpful information. This dosing pump has been on my radar for a few months but I've been reluctant to purchase it based on the lack of information that I can find on it. Any updates on how it has been working for you?

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking, I have been meaning to check the calibration but haven't bothered since all my testing has been spot on. It's really been set and forget since my system itself is very well dialed in. That being said obviously I will be adjusting dosing as needed as corals continue to grow.

I just did a test of 5ml and the pumps are still bang on. I really like using the phone app.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi control is great. Let me say I thought this was a good idea for a dosing pump, but now that I have it, I think its a GREAT idea. My lights actually just run on simple timers and I don't play around with them. There is no need. Dosing you have to play around with from time to time. Even if I never add corals again what I have will grow and require more trace elements in the future. Even a tank crash would mean less. Using a phone or tablet to do this is much better then reaching under the stand. This is also how I damaged my previous dosing pump by knocking it off it's shelf. This one I have on a small 2x4 block and will be attaching command strips to it so it's fixed on the shelf. When I need to remove it I can just unscrew the little 2x4 shelf I made. The reset button is still accessible.
Thanks for posting this. Are you able to control the doser away from home, or do you have to be close to it to adjust it. I am interested in the remote control feature in case i have to control the doser while i am away on vacation ?

thanks!

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the app no. The way it finds the dosing pump is searches your network. This allows you to have a bunch on one router. I'm sure there is some workaround where you can probably connect to your home network remotely but I am not that network savvy these days.

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi and thank you for posting your review.
what would happen upon a power failure, would it be equal to a factory reset or would it just go back to the user settings?

hubble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's mine with their dosing containers.

20180111_133512.jpg

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi and thank you for posting your review.
what would happen upon a power failure, would it be equal to a factory reset or would it just go back to the user settings?

After a power failure it seems to still dose. I just had a flicker a couple of days ago and I never even thought to check to be honest. I waited 4hrs to finish this reply so I could confirm it was still dosing. It is. The one issue is the app is no longer tracking the correct remaining levels after power failure. In fact they are way off. I haven't actually logged into the app in a long time. I do test weekly so that has been my confirmation that it's still dosing correctly.

I tested the calibration the one time 3 weeks in and I'll run another test in a few months or if I have to adjust any dosing but as long as parameters are not out of wack and bottles are not too empty / full I'm inclined to trust this dosing pump.

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a power failure it seems to still dose. I just had a flicker a couple of days ago and I never even thought to check to be honest. I waited 4hrs to finish this reply so I could confirm it was still dosing. It is. The one issue is the app is no longer tracking the correct remaining levels after power failure. In fact they are way off. I haven't actually logged into the app in a long time. I do test weekly so that has been my confirmation that it's still dosing correctly.

I tested the calibration the one time 3 weeks in and I'll run another test in a few months or if I have to adjust any dosing but as long as parameters are not out of wack and bottles are not too empty / full I'm inclined to trust this dosing pump.

million thanks Andrew!
your thread here is really priceless :)

thanks again
cheers

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on how this is working for you? Also, where did you purchase it? Thanks!

Still working great, for the first time I've adjusted my dose just to compensate for new growth / corals but I have not had any issues with dosing. The best thing I like about this other then the fact it is accurate is I never have to physically touch the dosing pump. I purchased mine from pets and ponds.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working great, for the first time I've adjusted my dose just to compensate for new growth / corals but I have not had any issues with dosing. The best thing I like about this other then the fact it is accurate is I never have to physically touch the dosing pump. I purchased mine from pets and ponds.
Mine will be here Monday :)

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@andrewkw

Still going strong for you? I'm about to set mine up.

Also for mounting, did you just make an upside down "T" out of 2x4s? vertical top piece long side flat on the wall, horizontal bottom piece short side flat on the wall, bottom piece screwed into top piece and top piece screwed into wall of stand? How's that working for you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@andrewkw

Still going strong for you? I'm about to set mine up.

Also for mounting, did you just make an upside down "T" out of 2x4s? vertical top piece long side flat on the wall, horizontal bottom piece short side flat on the wall, bottom piece screwed into top piece and top piece screwed into wall of stand? How's that working for you?

Still working great, although I am debating ordering more tubing. I will need it eventually but the carbon and amino lines are starting to look a little gross. I don't think it's a huge deal but this would happen with any dosing pump. It's basically an upside down T. It's screwed directly into the dinning room wall as my stand has no back side. Works fine the pump is so small I never have to physically touch it. This was the one thing I never really thought about. I would not want to go back to bending over at the back of the stand adjusting the dosing. Doing it from the app is just so much easier.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working great, although I am debating ordering more tubing. I will need it eventually but the carbon and amino lines are starting to look a little gross. I don't think it's a huge deal but this would happen with any dosing pump. It's basically an upside down T. It's screwed directly into the dinning room wall as my stand has no back side. Works fine the pump is so small I never have to physically touch it. This was the one thing I never really thought about. I would not want to go back to bending over at the back of the stand adjusting the dosing. Doing it from the app is just so much easier.
Nice thanks. I purchased a ton of brs Drews doser tubing which apparently has the same thinner ID but thick walls and 1/4" OD like RO or other standard tubing, it's good quality and you can use it on normal dosing reservoirs/bulkheads without adapters

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set mine up yesterday, very impressed. The pump is so small yet sturdy and well built. It was super easy to set up and all 4 pumps were almost spot on without calibration. After calibration all 4 could dose 1ml, 2ml, and 5ml test doses perfectly. It is very quiet as well. We'll see how long it holds calibration, but I don't mind recalibration every now and then. As long as the pump is accurate and reliable I'm happy.

Bforbes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running this pump with no issues since November 2017. Today I logged in to change dosing amounts and all settings read ZERO. I tried to add my programming in several times and the message says "success" but checking the Plan page again shows everything is still Zero.
Rebooting and reinstalling the app does nothing.

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running this pump with no issues since November 2017. Today I logged in to change dosing amounts and all settings read ZERO. I tried to add my programming in several times and the message says "success" but checking the Plan page again shows everything is still Zero.
Rebooting and reinstalling the app does nothing.
Did you update the firmware. Is their an update for your phones OS?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back