Kamoer X2SR AWC - What makes the most sense, continuous or single daily/weekly/monthly water change?

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kamoer X2SR is currently exchanging 1% of my total water volume daily. This equates to 6 liters out of my 600 liter system, removed in 1 liter increments 6x per day. The method used is first out, then in. With this 1 liter volume I can leave the apex and aquarium running without shutting off the return pump or any systems. My intention is to have the water changes remove pollutants and introduce new water continuously during the day while I am at work. Is there a more efficient way to do this? Is it a waste of water / is anything actually being accomplished?

I'm asking for math help. I understand the concept of "a 50% change will reduce a contaminant by 50%" (assuming the new water has none of the contaminant). What I am not able to calculate is the math for a continuous small water change. With my parameters listed below, I am not interested in reducing nutrients by 50%, but I would like to know if there is value in a small continuous water change. At my current rate, my 55 gallon drum of clean water will last about 30 days - at a cost of about $150 in salt/per year to run the 6 liter per day continuous water change.

I'm dosing Tropic Marin All for Reef + Fritz RPM Part 1 Alkalinity as my alkalinity consumption outpaces my calcium.

My nutrients are currently:
pH: 8.24 on a 3-day average (Min: 8.12, Max: 8.37)
Alkalinity 8
Calcium: 470
Nitrates: 10
Phosphates: 0

X-Posted from WAMAS.org

OP
OP
therootcause

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this 2017 answer from @Randy Holmes-Farley so I’ll keep on keeping on with my 1% daily change.

I ran the AWC this evening with return pump running and I can do a 1% (6,000ml) change at one time without sucking air.

IMG_0901.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back