View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn it up yo! :)

FTS May 2016​
26807335176_d28c4b18f7_k.jpg

The concept

After running the RSM for 3 years, I retired it. CADlight Artisan 50L took it's place. I moved all my colonies and encrusted rocks into this tank, tried to keep the scape as minimalistic as possible. I got buckets of help from fellow reefers on every aspect of this build and I'm just thrilled with the tank.

The colonies I had grown for 3 years started to RTN, the new tank was too clean and I've traditionally always run a nutrient rich system. It took almost a year to get some to grow back from little nubs that I managed to save, and to begin to rebuild my zoa collection.

Notes from back when I started the build in November 2014.
The sump has a manifold, and I'm trying out a built in ATS.
I also made a Hoffer for the compact overflow box
20141128_182323.jpg

Taught myself plumbing and how to draw 3-D
20141115_002242.jpg
Nook.jpg

20141121_161458.jpg
20141122_003257.jpg

The electrical cabinet is still a work in progress but I re-purposed a show cabinet with swivel drawers to create a control panel/dashboard
bissa-shoe-cabinet-with--compartments__0179365_PE331933_S4.JPG

20141206_131641.jpg
20141206_131653.jpg

Next stop is the light which is being built by Nano-Box at the moment. Can't wait.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool ideas. Following along. Are those 2 4-outlet strips or a single 8 outlet strip? I'm considering something similar.

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the cabinet idea!
Yeah it's cool when it swivels down. I've got a motion sensor light on it too, comes on when I open the cabinet.
2014-10-09.jpg

Following along. I've been considering the artisan as well.
They're sleek tanks. They might be sold out of the Artisan II series, they're launching the 2015 line. If you consider buying, talk to Jason, and only Jason at CAD. Tell him Kat sent you.

Very clean setup! +1 on the cabinet.
Thank you.

So clean! Love it!
Ha, clean till a bomb goes off right? :nerd:

I love my artisan 100g. You're build looks awesome! Can't wait to see what you do.
Thank you so much, I love looking at the scape and imagining the possibilities.

Very cool ideas. Following along. Are those 2 4-outlet strips or a single 8 outlet strip? I'm considering something similar.
Thanks Gopi. Those are 2 American DJ strips. A single one was 2 inches bigger and would not fit in this space. The way I made them fit was to overlap the holes in the middle.
Also, the 4 outlet ADJs are made differently from the single 8 outlet strip. For one they are crooked
20141112_153622.jpg

And 2, the outlets are on the top instead of the back so ceiling mounting them inside the cabinet like people do for the 8 outlet strip is not possible. I had to get some wood cut to attach to them and then to the shoe cabinet to make it work.
20141113_163545.jpg

Amazing build
Thank you so much.

lookin awesome!
I appreciate that, thanks.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression the artisan plumbing was metric. Looks like you added quite a bit of custom plumbing though. Did you just buy metric to english converter fittings and then go from there?

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the outlet info! I'm excited to see what else you do.

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great attention to detail on this well thought out build! I particularly like how you are feeding your fuge from a manifold to ATS!!
Thanks. That part is about to change. Going to put the scrubber on the glass wall with suction clips and just feed the fuge normally. I had planned to have a loc-line if the ATS didn't work out but since loc-line doesn't come in white, it's going to mess up my color coordination. ha ha.

I was under the impression the artisan plumbing was metric. Looks like you added quite a bit of custom plumbing though. Did you just buy metric to english converter fittings and then go from there?
You're right. They call it schedule 60. My overflow is custom drilled and I requested standard American drill sizes so I could use standard parts.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back