Kat's Fabulous CADlights Artisan

Bayinaung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous reef! Love the placement of corals. The fluorescence you are getting from your SPS is stunning. Did you choose them for that property or was that by accident as not all SPS have fluorescent response. Also I was wondering what your reef keeping practices are and if you follow any methods or systems?

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous reef! Love the placement of corals. The fluorescence you are getting from your SPS is stunning. Did you choose them for that property or was that by accident as not all SPS have fluorescent response. Also I was wondering what your reef keeping practices are and if you follow any methods or systems?
Thank you. I didn't choose the corals for their fluorescence, but for their daylight colors. Not that I follow the color wheel or anything, it's just pleasing to the eye when I put some colors together.

I change the water about every 10 days. Each time I gravel vac the sand. I am now not able to reach quite a bit of the substrate with the vac because the colonies are getting larger and branches break, so I clean up everything that is within easy reach. I manually dose potassium, iodine, magnesium, vitamin C, garlic, strontium, boron and MB7. There is no set regimen for these, I don't think dosing anything other than 2 part every day is needed. I used to feed a lot more than I feed now but I still feed a cube of mysis and coral food like reef roids or Brightwell Blizzard, or Reef Nutrition Phyto everyday, alternating.

Bayinaung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that reply. I will try and identify each species of sps in your tank here as I'd like to see if I can get some of them locally. I'm trying to do a mixed reef as well. I find that LPS and zoas are much more colourful but would like to have SPS that responds well with actinic. I already have the setosa. It's refreshing to see a colourful SPS system that isn't following any of the dosing systems out there.

Do you dose to achieve a certain level for those elements or just a certain amount each time? by the way are you trying to reduce PO4 to a certain target level or are you happy with 0.2. And how long does it take for your skimmer cup to be filled?

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June FTS
27718009066_f99a3898e3_h.jpg
Beautiful reef!!

OP
OP
metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that reply. I will try and identify each species of sps in your tank here as I'd like to see if I can get some of them locally. I'm trying to do a mixed reef as well. I find that LPS and zoas are much more colourful but would like to have SPS that responds well with actinic. I already have the setosa. It's refreshing to see a colourful SPS system that isn't following any of the dosing systems out there.

Do you dose to achieve a certain level for those elements or just a certain amount each time? by the way are you trying to reduce PO4 to a certain target level or are you happy with 0.2. And how long does it take for your skimmer cup to be filled?

Skimmer nearly overflowed today - probably the pellets I fed.
I'm not trying to get to a certain level for NO3 or PO4 but too high is not good, too low is also not good. I like PO4 to be between 0.03 and 0.08
Nitrates about 0.5-0.10

Pink SPS do not glow under actinics - like red dragon, all greens and blues do. Yellows and oranges also.
Hmm, let me see if I can name the SPS in my tank
Green Slimer
Katropora
Calitort
Oregon Tort
Echinata
ORA Kelly Green Psammacora
Pumpkin psammacora
JF Setosa
Pink Lemonade
Austera
a couple are unknowns
Pink Blossom
Darth Maul Porites
Yellow porites
Miyagi Tort
PC Rainbow
Phoenix
Fenneri
Efflo
Strawberry shortcake
ORange Digi
Montipora Stelata
ORA spongodes

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great, Kat!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep the updates coming!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back