KDF 55 for pure water preparation?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am working on making a small filter system (basically a Kati/ani system or a giant zerowater filter) for creating very pure water for a blackwater tank, and I stumbled across a product called KDF 55. It is said to produce a small electric charge that converts many pollutants (such as chlorine and heavy metals) into harmless compounds. Reportedly this significantly reduces the load on subsequent filters in the system (it's usually placed right before an activated carbon filter).

My question is, how would this work for my plans? I was going to have the water trickle through (in order) a sediment filter, the KDF 55, coconut shell carbon, and finally DI resin. Also, how often would the KDF 55 need to be replaced? Thanks :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not useful in prolonging the di lifespan, and a very bad choice without a di as it adds copper, the single thing most important for an ro/di to remove.

From Wikipedia:
There is also concern about environmental damage due to the release of zinc in areas with high concentrations of metals or certain pollutants, in particular copper[25] and chlorine.[26] Publications of the American Water Works Association do not recommend the use of copper zinc water filtration systems to treat chlorinated water that outflows to streams.[26]

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not useful in prolonging the di lifespan, and a very bad choice without a di as it adds copper, the single thing most important for an ro/di to remove.

From Wikipedia:
There is also concern about environmental damage due to the release of zinc in areas with high concentrations of metals or certain pollutants, in particular copper[25] and chlorine.[26] Publications of the American Water Works Association do not recommend the use of copper zinc water filtration systems to treat chlorinated water that outflows to streams.[26]

Well, I guess KDF is not very useful to aquariums then...thanks for letting me know :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back