Keep Concrete from Sticking to Molds

  • Thread starter Thread starter -Logzor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
2,563
Reaction score
324
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about building some concrete molds out of wood. I plan on designing the mold to be detachable, so you could disassemble them after the concrete has cured.

What can I apply to the mold to keep the concrete from sticking? Could I paint the wood with some sort of epoxy coating? Would I have to apply/spray something each time?
 
They would be concrete blocks, definitely wouldn't want to use anything that would stain. I'm wondering if a type of plastic epoxy would keep it from sticking without having to apply a release agent every time.
 
I use regular kooking oil, waterer is left over, after 2 months in water with a hi ph everything disappears.
 
I would use form oil. It's a product used by concrete contractors that you should be able to find at a builders supply or concrete accessories provider. It's works the best.
 
form oil is first choice. really depends on what size an shape your makin ? also how many uses ? plus how u build them to be disassembled ? even with epoxy paint it will stick after few times. i am a concrete contractor. we due all types of form work an flatwork. along with decorative stamping.
 
I'm hoping to design forms that I can disassemble from around the concrete once it has hardened. The shapes may be pretty complex. Ultimately I want to be able to cure the shapes outside of the mold but I guess that requires some kind of machine to which applies enough pressure (dry forming I think it's called).
 
yes , dry forming would be like the process for making block & pavers. it is also a VERY dry mixture so virtually no shrinkage. so size is kept uniform. what size will these be ? approximately that is. what area are you from ? the name sounds familiar. i am central ohio.
the idea of removing the form from around rather than just sliding it out will work much better for repetitve use.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new