Keep Concrete from Sticking to Molds

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about building some concrete molds out of wood. I plan on designing the mold to be detachable, so you could disassemble them after the concrete has cured.

What can I apply to the mold to keep the concrete from sticking? Could I paint the wood with some sort of epoxy coating? Would I have to apply/spray something each time?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would be concrete blocks, definitely wouldn't want to use anything that would stain. I'm wondering if a type of plastic epoxy would keep it from sticking without having to apply a release agent every time.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use regular kooking oil, waterer is left over, after 2 months in water with a hi ph everything disappears.

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use form oil. It's a product used by concrete contractors that you should be able to find at a builders supply or concrete accessories provider. It's works the best.

buckeyereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
form oil is first choice. really depends on what size an shape your makin ? also how many uses ? plus how u build them to be disassembled ? even with epoxy paint it will stick after few times. i am a concrete contractor. we due all types of form work an flatwork. along with decorative stamping.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to design forms that I can disassemble from around the concrete once it has hardened. The shapes may be pretty complex. Ultimately I want to be able to cure the shapes outside of the mold but I guess that requires some kind of machine to which applies enough pressure (dry forming I think it's called).

buckeyereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes , dry forming would be like the process for making block & pavers. it is also a VERY dry mixture so virtually no shrinkage. so size is kept uniform. what size will these be ? approximately that is. what area are you from ? the name sounds familiar. i am central ohio.
the idea of removing the form from around rather than just sliding it out will work much better for repetitve use.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back