Keep glass open, or cover 2 sides...

Triple_Nothing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many said it's not best to have rocks against the outer glass which may scratch such or kill waterflow and such, but my question is more a full mount/"wall". I'm building a bar this winter, and the intent is a corner bar with an open back, where the side connecting to the wall will be to the ceiling supporting/housing the tank. The overflow will land at the wall end of the tank, and the rear of no desired view. The intent for the design is for the rock wall or such to go "higher" than the tank to give it the visual relation of depth, where a larger reef finally hits the bottom... The rear would be a full wall with the left end being a full wall covering the overflow as well as to provide support on one side, and a rock "arm" or such reaching forward and down on the other for support on that half.

Basically, if I go in full in such a manner, would covering as much of the glass as in mind be a problem? Thought of maybe providing a fill between the mount and the glass to claim that space, but unsure of options there.

Just looking random thoughts/suggestions. Thanks for any input!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't understand why there's objections to stacking rock against glass. Cryptic areas are essential parts of reef ecosystems. Drawings of what you're envisioning would help but as I understand your description it sounds fine to me.

Drilling rock and using PVC to hold it all together might help your design. It would let you build a tal stable structure with less rock and negative space that usually helps the eastheitics of the aquascaping.

OP
OP
T

Triple_Nothing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a random image I Googled for the idea. I plan on covering the 1 side and rear glass solid is "as-if" it's just the bottom of a larger rock wall that goes up another 5+ feet, to roughly define such.

Estimated tank size is a 180-240 gl. 2' x 2' x 6-8'.

1677635295343.png

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back