Keep it Simple

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 50 years of Reefing, all the stuff required to operate a reef tank has become complex with an emphasis on more difficult to keep inhabitanks. I attributed it to my youth of 72 years old, not being tuned in to how the culture thinks today. My 13 year old granddaughter ignored 25 year mature tank to see emerging ornamental macro lagoon, on first visit since Christmas. I may be on the right track.

I cycled with ammonia and seeded with bacteria in anticipation of 15lbs of live sand and 50lbs of diver collected uncured live rock from the Gulf of Mexico, 20 miles west of Tampa Bay. Because of bad diving weather, my tank cycled but no live rock to cure was available, so I added 10 mollies and utility macro as well as some GSP to consume high nitrates from ammonia cycle. These live rocks from mature display tank has also brought in amphipods & copepods.

It is my intention to cure 50lbs of GOM maricultured rock using utility macro in 1/3 of substrate and two Cascade canister filters with bacteria activated sponge filters.

Also included in biochemical filtration is cryptic refugium with reverse flow undergravel filter. Thank you @Paul B

image.jpg image.jpg

Storm Trooper Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My KISS tank
2B60CA18-B210-44C8-9E36-4AAE18A1C236.jpeg
Box to hold water (10g), light (AI prime), heater, move water (fluval in tank filter). All laying around from previous uses. Except for the light, think it’s all freshwater. Top off with fresh RODI, change a few gallons a week.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My KISS tank
2B60CA18-B210-44C8-9E36-4AAE18A1C236.jpeg
Box to hold water (10g), light (AI prime), heater, move water (fluval in tank filter). All laying around from previous uses. Except for the light, think it’s all freshwater. Top off with fresh RODI, change a few gallons a week.
What were you planning on putting into this tank?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO my tank is KISS only because It's an AIO and I don't have a choice XD

I've got 2 Bags of Ceramic rings (because I'm too cheap to buy balls or pellets bahaha) and 1 bag of Chemipure....

Nothing else.... (if you don't count filter socks)

:D

I am carbon dosing though now.... but that's for coral coloration. Takes all but 10 seconds a day.

IMG_1293.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My KISS tank will be strong as bull when it matures.

Emerald green blades swaying to gentle currents describes a meadow of Caulerpa Prolifera, which is utilitarian and beautiful. My favorite ornamental macro is Bortacladi, Red Grapes.

Bortacladia is collected in 40’-120’ of water. When I get it from the divers it is a rich burgundy color. If subjected to intense light without adjustment time, it will lose flotation balls, sun scold and likely die. In conversations with Dan at Gulf Live Rock, he sees Bortacladia on his live rock lease and will include something soon, depending on dive weather. It’s coincidental that this is Easter Holy Week. perhaps Tank as “strong as bull” will be resurrected with GOM “live rock”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO my tank is KISS only because It's an AIO and I don't have a choice XD

I've got 2 Bags of Ceramic rings (because I'm too cheap to buy balls or pellets bahaha) and 1 bag of Chemipure....

Nothing else.... (if you don't count filter socks)

:D

I am carbon dosing though now.... but that's for coral coloration. Takes all but 10 seconds a day.

IMG_1293.jpeg
How do you determine how carbon dosing helps color?

Dave_1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you elaborate more on how this setup works?

"Also included in biochemical filtration is cryptic refugium with reverse flow undergravel filter. Thank you @Paul B"

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If he isn't a good source then I give up on this hobby forever :p ;)

It's an hour long but I enjoyed almost every minute of it.

I am all in on trace elements addition. To complete this conversation, define carbon dosing. With respect to reef hobby definition of carbon dosing, I could care less, I have been skimmerless for 35 years.
If coloration of coral to my eye is the issue, I change the spectrum of the display lighting.

In nature, carbon as a gas is absorbed in water as a weak carbonic acid. Carbonate & bicarbonate alkalinity buffer & combine this weak acid with photosynthesis to form glucose, which is carbon for the reef.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all in on trace elements addition. To complete this conversation, define carbon dosing. With respect to reef hobby definition of carbon dosing, I could care less, I have been skimmerless for 35 years.
If coloration of coral to my eye is the issue, I change the spectrum of the display lighting.

In nature, carbon as a gas is absorbed in water as a weak carbonic acid. Carbonate & bicarbonate alkalinity buffer & combine this weak acid with photosynthesis to form glucose, which is carbon for the reef.
Same thing, except organic carbon in liquid form. bypassing the gas to liquid stage. I'm sure it still happens in reef tanks naturally but probably minimally. However from what I understand in this video what you're really doing on top of that as well is feeding a PO4 eating bacteria that then feeds your corals, then giving your corals the boost of PO4 they need since they have a hard time getting it from the water column on it's own.

I'm sure chemistry wise it's also improves the photosynthesis glucose process. But It's more about the PO4 from what Lou is saying.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing, except organic carbon in liquid form. bypassing the gas to liquid stage. I'm sure it still happens in reef tanks naturally but probably minimally. However from what I understand in this video what you're really doing on top of that as well is feeding a PO4 eating bacteria that then feeds your corals, then giving your corals the boost of PO4 they need since they have a hard time getting it from the water column on it's own.

I'm sure chemistry wise it's also improves the photosynthesis glucose process. But It's more about the PO4 from what Lou is saying.

I normally read peer reviewed articles for my source of knowledge. Nothing against Lou.

What are you dosing with (vinegar, sugar etc) and are you using a protein skimmer.

I dose live phytoplankton and ChaetoGro.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man. Water looks clear...after ur done cycling or determined ur.good to go....r u gonna get rid of the mollies? What will your real inhabitants be?! Ty
D

This tank will be an ornamental macro lagoon with invertebrates & filter feeders. I consider mollies as large pods. To that point, there will be no other fish. Eventually, this tank will have feather dusters, sponges, flame scallops and sea apples to name a few.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally read peer reviewed articles for my source of knowledge. Nothing against Lou.

What are you dosing with (vinegar, sugar etc) and are you using a protein skimmer.

I dose live phytoplankton and ChaetoGro.

I'm dosing NoPox (Which isn't the most ideal) but just had it already so figured I'd use it up. I'll most likely switch to something else eventually, But NoPox is more or less alcohol based.

I also dose Phyto and AB+ and Reef Roids on top of feeding Frozen.\

I'm not running a skimmer at all. A lot of people advice against this, but it's all about moderation. I'm only dosing 2-3ML a day of liquid carbon. "Recommended" dose is 2 to 3 times that. But with a Skimmer.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you elaborate more on how this setup works?

"Also included in biochemical filtration is cryptic refugium with reverse flow undergravel filter. Thank you @Paul B"

Dave,
Paul & I are cohorts from Vietnam & Cambodia. We have both been reefing for 50 years. He has 6 months up on me. However, he is a published author of reefer books, but I will chim in since I am the OP.

What part of elaboration do you wish? How to mechanically build it or does your question probe how biochemical filtration works. From your previous threads, I have no idea of your technical knowledge level. I am a marine engineer with Category v Wastewater treatment certification that not only allows me to stir S.H.I.T but I am qualified to be paid to train people to stir it.

@Dave_1972
Where should we start the conversation?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank will be an ornamental macro lagoon with invertebrates & filter feeders. I consider mollies as large pods. To that point, there will be no other fish. Eventually, this tank will have feather dusters, sponges, flame scallops and sea apples to name a few.
I have no idea at all about Carbon dosing for planted tanks though lol :D That's a further research tab saved for later :)

I've yet to become "bored" enough with my reef to venture onto plants :D (Not that the only reason to do a planted tank is because you're bored with reefs, it just keeps my hands full enough as it is lol)

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing NoPox (Which isn't the most ideal) but just had it already so figured I'd use it up. I'll most likely switch to something else eventually, But NoPox is more or less alcohol based.

I also dose Phyto and AB+ and Reef Roids on top of feeding Frozen.\

I'm not running a skimmer at all. A lot of people advice against this, but it's all about moderation. I'm only dosing 2-3ML a day of liquid carbon. "Recommended" dose is 2 to 3 times that. But with a Skimmer.

Obviously you are an advanced reefer. It’s my thread, let’s talk.

Amino acids are produced within coral biomass. For various reasons, mostly lack of the “microbial loop“ , organic live food on wild reefs, some in tank corals suffer for suitable enzymes & proteins. Thus carbon dosing. Methane & rocket fuel are not on my list of carbon dosing. If anything, I carbon dose with phytoplankton and trace minerals include ChaetoGrow and pure ammonia to kick start everybody.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously you are an advanced reefer. It’s my thread, let’s talk.

Amino acids are produced within coral biomass. For various reasons, mostly lack of the “microbial loop“ , organic live food on wild reefs, some in tank corals suffer for suitable enzymes & proteins. Thus carbon dosing. Methane & rocket fuel are not on my list of carbon dosing. If anything, I carbon dose with phytoplankton and trace minerals include ChaetoGrow and pure ammonia to kick start everybody.

Right, I guess it's a matter of figuring out what sources are missing, and how the inhabitants in the tank respond to it, or rather their natural preferred methods of receiving the nutrients.

I just personally found after adding the additional dosing of NoPox (which happens to be alcohol based) it gave me positive results. I'm also not sure exactly which parts, of which sources of carbon are being directly given to the corals vs rather feeding other microfauna which are then in turn feeding my coral through the natural food chain cycles.

I just know the combination of X,Y,and Z has resulted positively. To be fair, increasing my responsibility for positive results would include much more study. I've yet a lot of further marine biological research to study and comprehend, and I'm always open to good articles and sources of information.

I'd be interested to know how the various sources of nutrients we are providing each react inside the tank with each individual specimen, including all various microfauna.

I'd love to have gone into marine biology now that I'm a reefer.... It fascinates me and I could study it for years on end.

unfortunately the way life works, it's a little to late now to suddenly change career and life paths.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back