keep water temp traveling to swaps???

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone.. i got a quick question. i may take a drive to a swap in a few weeks and its a bit of a drive. im trying to figure out a way to keep water temp at a decent number. i have some ideas and want feedback...

1. tape a few of the hand warmer heat packs to the outside of the bucket or containers you will have corals in...

2. heat seal the heatpacks (2-3 times) so they can just be put directly in the water during travel.

3. Put heatpack in a tupperware container and let it float in the bucket corals are traveling in....

4. drill a hole on top of buckets so heater can lay in it. somehow reseal the hole so water doesnt splash out. I can get a car lighter converter so that i can plug in the heater.

what do you think?? any other these good?

thanks

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just dont know how to seal the hole after i drill it. its gonna big a 1 inch hole (at least).

Drill the hole in the lid of whatever your transporting the water in. Then just use good, old fashioned duct tape to seal around the cord.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an LFS near you ask them for one of the styrofoam containers they get fish deliveries in and use that instead of a bucket. That'll help stabilize the temp too.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you bringing corals to sell?
I recently attended my first swap and drove about 4 1/2 hrs. All in all the corals were in a cooler for about 6hrs. What we did was to cut a piece of eggcrate to fit into our frag tank and placed that directly in a cooler. Added water and done. My temps dropped 2* in the six hrs they were in there. All total we had about 200pieces and lost none.

As far as sealing heat pack in a watertight pouch, don't bother. They need air in order to heat. No air, no heat.

OP
OP
T

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you bringing corals to sell?
I recently attended my first swap and drove about 4 1/2 hrs. All in all the corals were in a cooler for about 6hrs. What we did was to cut a piece of eggcrate to fit into our frag tank and placed that directly in a cooler. Added water and done. My temps dropped 2* in the six hrs they were in there. All total we had about 200pieces and lost none.

As far as sealing heat pack in a watertight pouch, don't bother. They need air in order to heat. No air, no heat.

I forgot about them needing air.. . Good call!!!

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many hours is a bit of a drive? I recently picked up some frags while on vacation, had them in a foam box for over 36 hous. 24 of those hours was in the hotel which was kept in the low 60's, no heat pack and the temp in the bags only dropped 3 degrees by the time I got home. Frags opened immediately after getting them in my tank. I've traveled with both zoas and acros this way whith no problems.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back