My Water Mixing Station build thread

JCP_HobbyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Currently buying the items I need to build my mixing station. I have a float valve and shut off solenoid on order. Just looking at containers as there’s not many options near me and I only have 2 tanks. Will the below containers suffice (130l each plenty for my tanks in an emergency)? Can I still use a bulkhead / tank outlet on a round bin? I want to plum it all up so I don’t have to remove a submersible pump and can just run a hose for water changes.

Thanks in advanced!

IMG_1594.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to use a uniseal because the container is round.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uniseals suck! plain and simple. Never had one larger then 1/2" leak eventually.

Schedule 40 bulkheads work on round bins(specially trash cans) as the bins are made from a soft plastic that will bend to form a flat seal. Also the schedule 40 bulkheads have a thicker gasket that will smoosh against the round sides of the brutes.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Uniseals suck! plain and simple. Never had one larger then 1/2" leak eventually.

Schedule 40 bulkheads work on round bins(specially trash cans) as the bins are made from a soft plastic that will bend to form a flat seal. Also the schedule 40 bulkheads have a thicker gasket that will smoosh against the round sides of the brutes.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

OP
OP
JCP_HobbyReefer

JCP_HobbyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That was my sort of thinking aswell. Thanks for confirming I’ll give that a shot.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only question would be is the container food grade? If so no reason it shouldn't work.
This is what I was thinking. Yes, the bulkhead would work, but are you sure that bin is aquarium safe plastic? Most who use garbage containers use the Brute brand, if they are available in your area. These are known to be aquarium safe.

OP
OP
JCP_HobbyReefer

JCP_HobbyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was thinking. Yes, the bulkhead would work, but are you sure that bin is aquarium safe plastic? Most who use garbage containers use the Brute brand, if they are available in your area. These are known to be aquarium safe.
I’m from Australia I don’t think we have the Brute brand here? Not that I have found anyway. I’m 99% sure these are food safe but I’ll do a bit more research first. Thanks for the advice

OP
OP
JCP_HobbyReefer

JCP_HobbyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it’s food grade it’s rated at number 5 so should be safe :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
IMG_1598.png

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with @BubblesandSqueak - swim up stream and use the bulkhead on the bottom of the container :) I mean easy to do and factor in during the building of the station. This is what I'm actually doing with my system. I'm using the 44 gallon brute containers. Container doesn't matter though but personally speaking I do not like Uniseals. I know hobbyist who use them with great success so know they work. Just personal preference.

OP
OP
JCP_HobbyReefer

JCP_HobbyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with @BubblesandSqueak - swim up stream and use the bulkhead on the bottom of the container :) I mean easy to do and factor in during the building of the station. This is what I'm actually doing with my system. I'm using the 44 gallon brute containers. Container doesn't matter though but personally speaking I do not like Uniseals. I know hobbyist who use them with great success so know they work. Just personal preference.
Yeah didn’t cross my mind at first but will see how I go and what comes of hahaha. I’ve bought bulkheads ready for the build I think they are the better option aswell. Thanks for the input mate :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back