Keeping a disease free tank

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some of your opinions.

So far I have a new 200 gallon tank, setup with dry bleached rock and turbostart. So far everything is going great. I have a Bristletooth tang, 2 clowns, and a firefish. As well as a bucnh of snails and a conch.

I purchased my fish through Dr. Reef as they are all fully QT'd. I'm looking to avoid dealing with any fish disease or illness as much as possible. I have a second shipment of fish coming soon.

My question is, where/how would you all acquire corals? I'm aware most places don't keep fishless systems. What would be the procedure you take for adding coral to a tank setup like this?

Thanks.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some of your opinions.

So far I have a new 200 gallon tank, setup with dry bleached rock and turbostart. So far everything is going great. I have a Bristletooth tang, 2 clowns, and a firefish. As well as a bucnh of snails and a conch.

I purchased my fish through Dr. Reef as they are all fully QT'd. I'm looking to avoid dealing with any fish disease or illness as much as possible. I have a second shipment of fish coming soon.

My question is, where/how would you all acquire corals? I'm aware most places don't keep fishless systems. What would be the procedure you take for adding coral to a tank setup like this?

Thanks.
A disease free aquarium is probably impossible. Minimizing the risk is what I would call what you are doing. Besides keeping out problem organisms, the part of the equation of success is keeping healthy livestock. They have evolved to take care of themselves in the wild but the stress of living in an aquarium undermines their immunology. Find out how to minimize that stress and you are going to have healthy organisms.

OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A disease free aquarium is probably impossible. Minimizing the risk is what I would call what you are doing. Besides keeping out problem organisms, the part of the equation of success is keeping healthy livestock. They have evolved to take care of themselves in the wild but the stress of living in an aquarium undermines their immunology. Find out how to minimize that stress and you are going to have healthy organisms.
Correct, I'm going to extra mile to minimize risks here. I'm asking for what is (in the board's opinion) the best way to minimize risk on adding corals to my tank where all the fish have been QTd.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, I'm going to extra mile to minimize risks here. I'm asking for what is (in the board's opinion) the best way to minimize risk on adding corals to my tank where all the fish have been QTd.

OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's what I'm talking about, thanks!

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A separate frag tank for coral/inverts, kept at 82 F, for 6 weeks is the easiest way to do it.

I write directly on the tank with sharpie when I add each new piece and then use nail polish remover once they move to the DT.

I also do a final hydrogen peroxide dip before adding them to the display tank.

I’m only 3 months in but so far so good.

OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A separate frag tank for coral/inverts, kept at 82 F, for 6 weeks is the easiest way to do it.

I write directly on the tank with sharpie when I add each new piece and then use nail polish remover once they move to the DT.

I also do a final hydrogen peroxide dip before adding them to the display tank.

I’m only 3 months in but so far so good.
What kind of tank did you end up going with for the frag tank? I was thinking about getting a second hand biocube or something super easy.

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just have a second tank for corals that you put new batches in to sit every 90 days? I wasn't looking forward to setting up another tank for maintenance.
Yes,I use nuvo aio and log when I add anything to it,it’s too much of a pain to chase pests or disease around a DT

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust but verify. - dip, scrub place in an observation tank then dip again before they get to your DT. But with all that some things can get through, and i add wrasses to the mix to help with possible breakthroughs
Small yellow coris wrasse and 50% chance you can get a 6 line that is like mine and spends all its waking hours looking for things to eat at the base of frags

OP
OP
JachPot

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust but verify. - dip, scrub place in an observation tank then dip again before they get to your DT. But with all that some things can get through, and i add wrasses to the mix to help with possible breakthroughs
Small yellow coris wrasse and 50% chance you can get a 6 line that is like mine and spends all its waking hours looking for things to eat at the base of frags
I have a lineatus wrasse and an orange back wrasse coming as well. I'm actually not worried about hitchhikers and such, purely fish disease. I don't mind having worms and some of the other light pests, they do a job. I'd like to avoid Aptasia, Briopsis, and the like though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back