Keeping a white sand bed

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up guys and gals! My sandbed used to be pristine and white without even trying. After a terrible algae outbreak and a reorganizing of my aquascape i get a bit of green and brown algae on the surface and cyano in a corner. Just enough to be annoying. What are some ways you keep your sandbed clean? I do vacuum little sections each week during water changes. This pic was at the height of the issue it has gotten better but id like a white white sandbed. Ive been working on improving my flow to get the cyano at bay but my trachy is so huge it blocks the cyano so ill be raising the sandbed in that corner so it can get better flow. Thanks in advance!
3D047C23-DA0C-49B3-964B-5EB6A5902F68.jpeg

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifter or snails that burrow in sand most sand sifting fish good for getting sand on top of your corals which can obviously do harm I have had several sand sifters that I took out of my reef tank do to them killing corals with the sand and burying them and not always being around to blow it off with a baster

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But to answer your question I would think it’s an on going battle, vacuuming is a big part, with a cuc and good nutrition lvls all play a part, the bigger the tank I would expect the owner may struggle to stay on top of the sand as vacuuming then becomes a big job.

OP
OP
M

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok i gotcha. Ill stay diligent. I just got 20 nassarius snails but they only had the teeny tiny ones theyre not making a huge impact. Id like to get a diamond goby but not at the expense of my precious corals. Lol

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sand sifters are just a big risk. Even if you don’t have corals on the sand, they can deposit sand on your rocks. Just not worth it. I do love the perfect sand they provide, though.

I just do sand bed vacuuming when I water change. Maybe not every single water change, but every third, or so.

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby for sure, just prepare for the inevitability that it yeets itself out of the tank and goes carpet surfing. A good lid especially at night is required it you want to stop that from happening. Eggcrate is not sufficient, I speak from experience

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to stir a quarter of my sand bed a week, it's not good to stir all of it at one time. Then with my water changes, I vacuum another bit of surface of the front. I only really get some dirtiness in the front middle of my tank so I get rid of that with the vacuuming.

OP
OP
M

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool ill do some research on a diamond goby and it one more fish is pushin it for my tank size and start stirring along with vacuuming. Thanks guys!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back