Keeping Achilles tang ick free in reef tank

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That leaves disease. Velvet is a fast killer that does not always exhibit physical symptoms (can suffocate a fish inside the gills.) Or even ich & flukes can reside only in the gills, and would cause fluid build up which can suffocate an Achilles.

This. Exactly. Literally no obvious symptoms at all.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the achilles in a 55 cup taming tank and he is eating well so far and I will put him in DT when he gets fat enough

If any of your fish have had ich at any point in your dt the poor guy will come down with it unfortunately

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, many other tangs can handle ich and fight it off just fine with proper water parameters and good husbandry and diet... But this genus struggles very much.

+1 Acanthurus (exs. Achilles, Powder Blue/Brown) + ich = rough road

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget goldrim! :)

OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not putting the achilles into the DT until I have him for 2 months in the qt and he is eating aggressively. He will be eating every type of food before I put him in DT

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your dt has ever had a fish with ich (even if they never showed symptoms) there is a 90% chance he will get it and succumb.

OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he gets it he will handle it. He is used to aquarium life and eats like a pig. There is a blue hippo in there with no ick visible

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he gets it he will handle it. He is used to aquarium life and eats like a pig. There is a blue hippo in there with no ick visible

Ok what do I know. Let me know how that works out 2 months after he's in your DT.

Tried this many times, I'm ashamed to admit it.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might add that the purple, desjardini Sailfin, yellow, blonde naso, flame angel, and several other fish in my systems lived with ich without symptoms. Powder blues Browns and Achilles - 99% of the time will perish even if you're experienced and have fantastic water, immense amounts of flow, etc.

OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if they are healthy from the start, they can live with it it untill they fight it off, while eating high quality foods and being used to a aquaruim. I have had many successful attempts with powder blues and one gold rim with this method

Last edited:

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if they are healthy from the start, they can live with it it untill they fight it off, while eating high quality foods and being used to a aquaruim. I have had many successful attempts with powder blues and one gold rim with this method
There are countless threads talking about Achilles and how vulnerable they are to ich. I would qt all your fish for the sake of your beautiful Achilles, as I am doing for mine. I hope you end up qting everything because eventually you will loose the Achilles to ich. What does it mean to have a SuCCESSFUl ATTeMPTs, isn't that kind of contradicting each other?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jumped camp on this. I killed far too many acanthus. For each that makes it with ich in the system there are ten that eventually die. No one feeds their fish healthier foods and variety with selcon, cod liver oil, and garlic. Three types of nori and live Blackworms, 12 types of frozen food... My water is fantastic lots of flow everything is perfect.

It can be done but why kill fish unnecessarily to get the one that can? I ashamed to admit that I did it. I kept two for over a year but any stressful event and it took over. (Achilles)

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jumped camp on this. I killed far too many acanthus. For each that makes it with ich in the system there are ten that eventually die. No one feeds their fish healthier foods and variety with selcon, cod liver oil, and garlic. Three types of nori and live Blackworms, 12 types of frozen food... My water is fantastic lots of flow everything is perfect.

It can be done but why kill fish unnecessarily to get the one that can? I ashamed to admit that I did it. I kept two for over a year but any stressful event and it took over. (Achilles)
That's my point, eventually (maybe a week or maybe 2yrs) they will perish 90 percent of the time... But no sense in making my point because people are going to do what they are going to do. I also lost two Achilles, so when I put my Achilles in the display and found out that somehow ich still got in the tank, I pulled them all out to redo the qt process. He has been in cupramine for a week now and eating like a champ!

OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is, but I have tried and I have a good survival rate

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing difficult about keeping an Achilles (or any other Acanthurus tang for that matter.) So long as you provide strong flow/heavily oxygenated water in a disease free environment. You supply those two things and anyone of you can keep one! :) I've kept 5 Achilles over the course of 35 years, and the only one I lost was when I was trying to play "ich management". The rest were sold/traded off over the years.

OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it impossible to eradicate ick from a tank, becasue once it's a cyst it will survive for a long time without fish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it impossible to eradicate ick from a tank, becasue once it's a cyst it will survive for a long time without fish

72 days is the longest recorded period.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing difficult about keeping an Achilles (or any other Acanthurus tang for that matter.) So long as you provide strong flow/heavily oxygenated water in a disease free environment. You supply those two things and anyone of you can keep one! :) I've kept 5 Achilles over the course of 35 years, and the only one I lost was when I was trying to play "ich management". The rest were sold/traded off over the years.
disease free environment. yes

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 73 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back