Keeping angelfish in a reef tank

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2018
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
2,248
Location
Sweden
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there’s one subject I get asked about daily on both Instagram and YouTube is how do I keep a bunch of angelfish together with corals. That very question is actually why I started my YouTube channel to begin with.

Anyways, the hobby at large seems to have gotten this subject wrong in that the prevailing idea is that they will decimate your corals. That’s just straight up wrong!
I’ve kept angelfish in my reef tanks for over two decades without a single issue…but it requires some consideration on your part.

As this subject seems to be of interest to a lot of folks I thought it might provide some value to post this here (I also have a couple of videos covering “risky” fish at large if you’re interested):
Keeping angelfish in a REEF TANK? No problem!
 
I currently have 4 angles in my 125 mixed reef, a couple do pick on corals. I generally feed heavy and attribute this to their behavior and they stay away but my Singapore angel loves Candy canes and have had to pull them out of the tank. My juvenile emperor will nip every once and a while at a zoa but haven't seen and health issues with the zoas.

Other angels are a flame and a coral beauty, both model citizens. i will be watching your video and see if anything can help in my tank!

thank you
Ken
 
I currently have 4 angles in my 125 mixed reef, a couple do pick on corals. I generally feed heavy and attribute this to their behavior and they stay away but my Singapore angel loves Candy canes and have had to pull them out of the tank. My juvenile emperor will nip every once and a while at a zoa but haven't seen and health issues with the zoas.

Other angels are a flame and a coral beauty, both model citizens. i will be watching your video and see if anything can help in my tank!

thank you
Ken
Consistent and heavy feeding is definitely one of the main ingredients for success. The only time I’ve ever seen them actually do any damage to corals was when my autofeeder ran out without me noticing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new