Keeping clams from the supermarket?

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Was at the market today and saw some live cockle clams for sale and packed up a bunch. Popped four of them outta my bag and into an empty fiourish gallon nano that ive been meaning to stock for months. Couldn't tell if they were alive at first, but recorded some Timelapse's of them (lol) and found caught a few spitting out sand and slightly opening their shells. I realize not many people have probably tried keeping them, but curious if anyone would have some tips. I took the heater out since I assume they don't come from tropical waters, and still haven't worked out what exactly to feed them lol. gonna keep monitoring them for now, and appreciate any advice!

clam lapse:

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert on this but If you some Phyto I would put a little of that in and see if you notice any response.
dont happen to have any, but will probably order some. I've never actually ventured into the phyto world, is it relatively simple to start a culture?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont happen to have any, but will probably order some. I've never actually ventured into the phyto world, is it relatively simple to start a culture?
Phyto is a great place to start with filter feeders - some phytos (such as Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis) are relatively simple to culture, while others (such as Isochrysis) are relatively difficult to culture. Depending on the specific needs of your filter feeder, you might only need one species, or you may need multiple.

With these specific cockles - which I assume are New Zealand Cockles, Austrovenus stutchburyi - it seems their diet primarily consists of either microphytobenthos (a variety of benthic phytoplankton species) or - according to one study from 2006* which tracked feeding using stable isotopes - "Ulva and Polysiphonia spp.", I'm assuming in the form of detritus (i.e. they probably ate pieces that were decomposing and fell off or were broken off of Ulva and Polysiphonia macroalgae by herbivores - that sort of thing). This study says these two macroalgae genera composed 85% of the cockles diet.
*The study referenced:
So, with these specific clams, you might be able to feed them successfully by growing, harvesting, and literally juicing species of the above macroalgae.

Also, these clams are from a "coldwater" temperate climate, with temperatures ranging form ~45F to 75F, so they may not do well long term in traditional reef tank temperatures.

It's a cool project, and I hope the clams do well!

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto is a great place to start with filter feeders - some phytos (such as Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis) are relatively simple to culture, while others (such as Isochrysis) are relatively difficult to culture. Depending on the specific needs of your filter feeder, you might only need one species, or you may need multiple.

With these specific cockles - which I assume are New Zealand Cockles, Austrovenus stutchburyi - it seems their diet primarily consists of either microphytobenthos (a variety of benthic phytoplankton species) or - according to one study from 2006* which tracked feeding using stable isotopes - "Ulva and Polysiphonia spp.", I'm assuming in the form of detritus (i.e. they probably ate pieces that were decomposing and fell off or were broken off of Ulva and Polysiphonia macroalgae by herbivores - that sort of thing). This study says these two macroalgae genera composed 85% of the cockles diet.
*The study referenced:
So, with these specific clams, you might be able to feed them successfully by growing, harvesting, and literally juicing species of the above macroalgae.

Also, these clams are from a "coldwater" temperate climate, with temperatures ranging form ~45F to 75F, so they may not do well long term in traditional reef tank temperatures.

It's a cool project, and I hope the clams do well!
thanks for all that! I'll definitely look into it more and try to figure out the feeding. And for the temp, I already took the heater out and they seem to be doing good. will keep everyone updated!

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think that something like phytofeast would work? or would I have to go with something live like algae barns oceanmagik?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think that something like phytofeast would work? or would I have to go with something live like algae barns oceanmagik?
I don't think bivalves will be too picky on live vs. dead food, so I'd imagine that would work fine as long it has food in it that is properly sized and properly nutritious for the cockles.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Put a ton of phytofeast in there today, couple of them opened up slightly but shut right back when I tried to spot feed. Also added a small pump for some more water circulation, unsure if they will like/dislike that or won’t care.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of thems really open lol!

also added some baby brine in there to see how they do, if this clan things doesn’t work out I might just do a brine shrimp tank lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 50

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Put a ton of phytofeast in there today, couple of them opened up slightly but shut right back when I tried to spot feed. Also added a small pump for some more water circulation, unsure if they will like/dislike that or won’t care.
Given their natural habitat is typically in seagrass meadows, I'd imagine they'd prefer slow to moderate flow, but high oxygenation. That said, I doubt the added flow will bother them too badly, I'd just keep an eye out and see how they do.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Interesting to see as i know of people who gave it attempt but was short term as they need cooler temps and higher flow

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given their natural habitat is typically in seagrass meadows, I'd imagine they'd prefer slow to moderate flow, but high oxygenation. That said, I doubt the added flow will bother them too badly, I'd just keep an eye out and see how they do.
Will do

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of thems really open lol!

also added some baby brine in there to see how they do, if this clan things doesn’t work out I might just do a brine shrimp tank lol
This article states that zooplankton, like baby brine shrimp, can only (possibly) be consumed by larger bivalves and that particles fed upon by most bivalves ranges from 2-20 μm. Online sources indicate that brine shrimp are born at over 400 μm in size.
It couldn’t hurt to try though. Following!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article states that zooplankton, like baby brine shrimp, can only (possibly) be consumed by larger bivalves and that particles fed upon by most bivalves ranges from 2-20 μm. Online sources indicate that brine shrimp are born at over 400 μm in size.
It couldn’t hurt to try though. Following!
Interesting read. It reminded me of this post by Jay Hemdal that I came across awhile back - I don't know if this would apply to these cockles, but I'd imagine it might:
Where did the scallops come from? They, and the tunicates look like a temperate species from deeper water in the Atlantic. Long term, temperate species won't do well at tropical temperatures.

Feeding scallops is VERY difficult. They can live for months without food, so it is impossible to judge if the feeding technique being used is working or not, until they suddenly die.

The trouble with scallops is the food size has to be just right. Too large and they just eject it. Too small, and they waster energy binding it together in mucus to make pseudofeces, which they then eject.

I've never been able to keep barnacles or scallops more than 8 months, even with multiple species of live algae cultures and live baby brine..

Jay
The part about pseudofeces makes me wonder how many kinds/species of bivalve that ideal particle size of 2-20μm applies to/if certain kinds/species can only handle very particular sizes in that range.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read. It reminded me of this post by Jay Hemdal that I came across awhile back - I don't know if this would apply to these cockles, but I'd imagine it might:

The part about pseudofeces makes me wonder how many kinds/species of bivalve that ideal particle size of 2-20μm applies to/if certain kinds/species can only handle very particular sizes in that range.
Hmm, wonder if I can find out how long they live without food.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t expect to give this update so soon:
One is completely dead, rest are getting close. Admittedly, this tank was not my priority, and I did slack off on its maintenance for a week or two and when I tested the water today, ammonia had spiked to a green. Did a 50% water change and will see what happens.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back