Keeping live rock healthy

raphgiroux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, I bought a used aquarium that ran for 5 years. By the last months, the previous owner didn't care too much about the tank, salinity being at 40 ppm when I tested the water Wich came with the live rocks.

There's 90 pounds of rocks I relocated in an empty 30 Tal tank, with a normal salinity (1.025), right temp and a power head running the water.

I don't know a lot about the health of those rocks, I wonder what can I do to help them at best while I repair the tank it was in? The support is in bad shape and I need to re-plumb it all)... So I won't move the rocks for another 3 weeks or so...

Bacterias, pods, anything else?

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you inspect the rock? look for pests or dead stuff you can remove. are you getting ammonia readings, nitrite, nitrate? if you don't have die off what are the bacteria eating? you can look at curing articles for suggestions on caring/ transitioning the rock. my friend gave me some rock, corals, and livestock when he tore down his tank that had been neglected and allowed to grow a lot of algae. i had an easy time of moving his into mine.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a couple good videos on YouTube about curing rock . Might be worth a watch since it seems like you will have time to cure it

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that if it came from a 5 year tank and stayed wet, it's pretty live. I'd look for pests, maybe scrub off any unwanted algae, and let it ride. Ghost feed once a week or so and test for nitrates.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back