Keeping Multi Nem Question

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a guy tell me today you should keep multiple different types of anemones in the same tank because of chemical warefare between them.

So my question is can you keep multi bubble tips? Or did he mean just different species of nems.

Can I keep a Colorado sunburst with a Chicago sunburst? Or a black widow with a cc inferno? Aren’t they are just bubble tips with different color variations? Please advise, thank you!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine keeping different BTA's in the same system. It is also not impossible to keep different types of anemones together. I have kept Haddoni Carpets AND BTA's in the same system successfully. You simply need to plan ahead. I used a carbon reactor to remove as many toxins as possible and limit the allelopathy with good success. I would NOT, however, recommend this to someone new to anemones.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different types of anemones can be kept together. But your guy had a point. It's when you get into the higher end bubble tips that chemical warfare and certain death comes into play

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine keeping different BTA's in the same system. It is also not impossible to keep different types of anemones together. I have kept Haddoni Carpets AND BTA's in the same system successfully. You simply need to plan ahead. I used a carbon reactor to remove as many toxins as possible and limit the allelopathy with good success. I would NOT, however, recommend this to someone new to anemones.
Okay this was my understanding too. I have a RBTA and flower nems in a system with no issues but I recently got a higher end bubble tip nem in my main display and I planned on getting another one and I just wanted to confirm that this was fine before investing the money in it. I too run carbon 24/7

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different types of anemones can be kept together. But your guy had a point. It's when you get into the higher end bubble tips that chemical warfare and certain death comes into play
Well that’s what I was trying to understand. A Colorado and Chicago sunburst are both the same species just different variations, I really didn’t think they would fight

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mix high ends bubble tips with each other one will wither away and you’ll just lose money. Even if you think it won’t happen it can happen

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

High end BTA do not know that they are expensive. It is not as if a green BTA knows that it only worth $20.00, it better behave and live or else it is going down the toilet; CSB does not know that it is worth $1500.00 and does not mater what is is doing, the reefer will baby it until the cows come home.

The truth is that CSB got chopped as soon as it get a little large. It's owner wish to recoup the $1500.00 he invested in this anemone, then he wish to make a profit out of it. All/most the CSB clones ate stressed to the max getting chopped up, while the basic green BTA clones are not, no one spend the effort to chop these green BTA clones. Only(mostly) green BTA clones were resulted from natural split.

To me, it is self evidence why "high end" BTA are more delicate than an ordinary BTA.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back